Lockup Adjustment......?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
My lockup on the Fifth (904) kicks in around 62 kms/hr (39mph)
Too low for city driving IMO....is there a way to adjust this?
Thanks guys!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Okay....well after some great leads from a couple of lads over at Dippy I'm on my way to fixing this nuisance....

As I've heard if you change out the lockup valve spring in the valve body from the stock one to a stiffer one it will engage the lockup later.

The spring in question is part #4202 672 which after many phone calls and sleuthing I've actually found.....should be here in a few days.

The culprit goes here.....

345821.jpg

Just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone else wants to deal with this.

This article was also very helpful which is where I got the pic...

http://www.magnumgt.com/lockup-torque-convertors/

345821.jpg

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
thanks man. The only thing I know about trannies, is how to dress like one. To which, I am not that good at either.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
thanks man. The only thing I know about trannies, is how to dress like one. To which, I am not that good at either.

LMAO!!!
I figured eventually someone is going to want this info.
It's been pissing me off having it kick in at 40mph.
Apparently because of the feds wanting ultimate gas mileage Chrysler had it kick in that early....with the heavier spring you can deal with that.

I found a dealership out in the sticks and they had 6 of those springs.
Obviously I bought them all....

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Got my springs today.
Once I have time I'll do a fluid change and while I have the pan off I'll slap one of these babies in and let you know the result.

2014-12-30 17.30.41-1.jpg

2014-12-30 17.30.41-1.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Actually....there is more to this madness than originally thought.
I've learned from a couple of folks over at dippy that what I'm looking at is pulling the valve body out which means ordering a shifter control shaft seal.
I'm still learning how to do this.....

Once I actually get my ducks in a row I'll document the procedure for future reference.....to be continued....

BHA43

Reaction score
There is a small seal @ the shift shaft you should change too. A trick to instal the one in the case is to get a long 3/8 bolt & a couple washers & a nut. Pop the old one out then find a shallow 3/8 socket the same size or a bit smaller than the new seal. Put a washer on the bolt put it thru the socket then the seal, put that assembly thru the case, put a bigger socket , washer and nut on bottom. Carefully tighten the nut making sure everything is lined up square. Takes les time than it took to type it! The other seal is under an E-clip and washer on top of the shifter rod. Easy-peasy!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
There is a small seal @ the shift shaft you should change too. A trick to instal the one in the case is to get a long 3/8 bolt & a couple washers & a nut. Pop the old one out then find a shallow 3/8 socket the same size or a bit smaller than the new seal. Put a washer on the bolt put it thru the socket then the seal, put that assembly thru the case, put a bigger socket , washer and nut on bottom. Carefully tighten the nut making sure everything is lined up square. Takes les time than it took to type it! The other seal is under an E-clip and washer on top of the shifter rod. Easy-peasy!

Thank you Sir!!
New territory for me....

BHA43

Reaction score
When I was working on them all the time I used a slide hammer,(fast and nasty) but I ruined a few! This way is more controlled!

Back