Looking to put tilt steering in my mirada

cowtipper

Reaction score
I have an 1980 Mirada and would love to put tilt steering in this, I have searched for a bolt in replacement with no luck. Would anyone know if any other models would fit? I see a lot of cordobas in the yard with them but with winter I havent looked close enough to see what would be needed. Any help would be appreciated "would like as little hacking as possible" Thanks everyone.

80mirada

Reaction score
1980-1983 Cordoba, and I think 81-83 Imperial. M- body column could be modified by swapping the bracket from the stock column, but kinda of a pain

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The '80-83 J-body (Cordoba, Mirada and Imperial) are all a direct fit - with exception of electrical connectors which change every couple of years or so.

Of the J-body steering columns, there are these options (which every version might not exist):
Non-Tilt column shift (automatic)
Non-Tilt console shaft (automatic)
Non-Tilt console shift (manual)
Tilt column shift (automatic)
Tilt console shaft (automatic)
Tilt console shift (manual)

Manual steering columns are longer than P/Steering cars are - but I don't think I've seen a manual steering J-body before.

With that said, the F and M-body steering columns (all six versions) are almost the same as above. The difference is the J-body column to dash attachment point is closer to the firewall than F/M bodies are (by four inches . . . maybe). A person might be able to make an bracket to adapt a F/M column to a J-body but that will require some work

The '79-81 R-body column looks similar to J-body, but overall is a lot longer and uses a different means of attachment to the firewall.

The upper part (the part that is exposed rearward of dash) shares parts with ALL Chrysler products made '80-90 - with exception of L-body cars (Omni/Horizon), pickups and vans. The pickups went to this version later on ('84 maybe).
BudW

Back