Loose turn signal lever how to fix?

Fox1809

Reaction score
I have a 79 Volare with the A42 Duster option package and a Super Six. The turn signal lever that sticks out the side of the steering column is loose. I ignored it for awhile but it has gotten worse and I think the nut or whatever is holding the lever in place is about to fall off.
Is there one nut retaining the turn signal lever or what?
Looks like the steering wheel will have to come off to get to the problem? My car has the Tuff steering wheel. It does not have the optional tilt steering
Is there also a locking plate in the way?
I have never removed a steering wheel or locking plate. I know that special tools are required, but can be rented. Is it hard to get the steering wheel back on?

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
the nut on mine was loose as well i just put some lock tight on it ,,tightened it back up and left it for a day(just be careful when tightening it to the turn signal mechanism is made of plastic ,,if you crank to hard it will crack ) ,,,i have a reg steering wheel on mine so i cant comment on how to get yours off ,,pop off the horn cap and theirs prob a bolt there

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's screwed on by one screw that mates it to the internal shaft in the column but I've never had one apart yet. I'll check my service manual when I get home and post a diagram for you. Not sure how tough it is till I see it. I have a station wagon to register and get running tonight so it'll be later tonight but I will check it out for you.

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
s-l225.jpg
see the yellowish plastic on the right side of the main piece,,see the threaded hole dead center,,,thats where it attaches to ,ive had mine apart ,,so be careful like i said tightening it or you will crack the plastic as well see the thin yellow plastic arms coming off of it ,,those are what hold your signal arm in place when you click up or down to signal ,if they brake your signal arm will flop around as well ,,one of them arms was broken on my car so i had to replace the entire piece you see in the pic

Aspen500

Reaction score
off and then remove the 3 nuts holding the wheel to the adapter. Then remove the nut inside the adapter. This is when you need a puller. You can rent one or, buy one as they aren't very expensive. Pull the adapter off and the signal switch and lever will be exposed.

Example of the puller. This one has the tools to remove the locking plate also but you can get kits with just the puller for a few bucks less.

http://www.harborfreight.com/steering-wheel-remover-set-68982.html

compubert

Reaction score
off and then remove the 3 nuts holding the wheel to the adapter. Then remove the nut inside the adapter. This is when you need a puller. You can rent one or, buy one as they aren't very expensive. Pull the adapter off and the signal switch and lever will be exposed.

Example of the puller. This one has the tools to remove the locking plate also but you can get kits with just the puller for a few bucks less.

http://www.harborfreight.com/steering-wheel-remover-set-68982.html
Make sure you either disconnect the battery, or pull the fuse for the horn or you can get the $h1T shocked out a ya... :)

Fox1809

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
Step one is disconnect the battery.
Step two is remove the round center piece for the horn (this is a three spoke Tuff wheel). How is the center piece held on? Does it twist off, pull off, are there some clips or springs?

NoCar340

Reaction score
The horn button just pulls off. I just wedge a few fingers between it and the wheel and pry it off. Slide the horn wire terminal from the switch. There's no need to disrupt the horn switch. Next, remove the three 3/8" nuts holding the wheel to the column (around the outer edge of the center) and put them somewhere you won't lose them--they're tapered like lug nuts. If you look down the center of the adapter can, you'll see a large nut at the far end. That needs to be removed next. Now you need the steering wheel puller. Back out the center stud quite a ways , and insert the correct bolts through the slotted arms. They'll thread into holes on either side of the shaft the large nut was on. Tighten those two bolts--no need to get silly here, just thread 'em in with your fingers--then use a wrench or socket to tighten the center stud of the puller. It'll hit the steering shaft where the nut was, and after a few turns the adapter can will come right off. At that point, the turn signal switch is right in front of you and you'll see what you need to do from there. ;)

NoCar340

Reaction score
Perfect. That's a good tool that will do the job well for you. Keep it around; you'll be surprised how handy those little buggers can turn out to be (I've actually pulled more than one crankshaft dampener with mine).

Aspen500

Reaction score
A person can never have too many tools! I've got quite a few I hardly ever use but,,,,,,,,,when I need that tool, always glad I bought it.

Fox1809

Reaction score
Success! Got the turn signal lever tightened up yesterday and put some blue loctite on the screw so hopefully it will not loosen up again. The only problem I had was the steering wheel is held on by three nuts. The nuts mount on to studs. When I loosened the three screws one of the studs came loose. The nut would not come off because the stud would turn with the nut. Used a vice grip on the stud threads so the nut would loosen. When I put the steering wheel back on I used a lock washer with a different nut on the stud that is loose.

Back