M body 4dr

8T2TOP

Reaction score
This is for a J body but I thought posting here would get more positive results. Will a steering column from a 81 up M 4dr interchange/swap?I know lots of mechanicals interchange from 76/89 thinking same gear box should be same length firewall,hope? Any info would be a mind relief.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
First of all, there are two different column groups from ’76-79 F & M bodies, Tilt and non-tilt.
Of them, there is also automatic on column, automatic on floor, 3-speed on column and 4-speed on the floor versions.

Then the ’80-89 which basically have the same options as above (tilt vs non-tilt, automatic (both versions), 3 on the tree and 4 on the floor).

Some of the parts interchange between the different groupings.
Also, of the above groups, you have differences in ignition switch and turn signal switch wiring, and a few other minor differences.

Now with that said, the J-body does share a lot of the same internal parts, but attachment to dash is different – so it is a different column.
In the back of my head, I’m thinking the J-body column is different from R-Body as well, (where it attaches to floor) but I could be wrong about that.
You also have tilt vs non-tilt, automatic (both versions) and 4-speeds.
I hadn’t seen a 3 on the tree version for a J-body – but that doesn’t mean that some were made.

I think a person may be able to make a new bracket to fit an F or M-body column to a J-body.
All it will is take time, some metal work and welding.

You would think the Auto-on-floor is same column as 4-speed column is – but they are not. The auto versions have linkage going from transmission to shifter. They also has linkage going from transmission to column (like a column shift auto is) for the shifter interlock system (can’t remove key unless in park).
BudW

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Thanks... Shit... Guess just sell this PIA car then..

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
5th Aves are about the last bargain RWD Mopar in craigslist anymore. V8, smooth ride, fairly dependable, cheap parts, burglar-proof.... who could want anything more? A steel grill... who does that anymore? Steel hardware, switchgear, switchplates... lasting quality. The unrealized virtue of the M cars. I got mine for $450. :)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I got my ’86 5th Ave (10 years ago?), which is my main driver and (on a separate transaction) a ’84 Gran Fury police car (parts car), combined for less than $450.00.

J-bodies – They just didn’t make enough of them (4 years vs. 13 for M-bodies) and a lot of items are J-body only).

I have the steering column from my ’84 police car in my garage. If I can remember, I will take pictures of it where they are different at.

As long as you have your original column (doesn’t matter tilt or not), you should be able to make one using both (either as a template or to swap parts from each other).

May I ask what you are trying to accomplish, exactly?
BudW

8T2TOP

Reaction score
To get the car mobile..top shaft of column bearings rusty came semi apart..attached but slop city. New to Phoenix so thats going against me. And yes Js are hard to come by,do see them online mostly back east so to tow a parts car cross country not cheap but then again not cheap hobby..

8T2TOP

Reaction score
And that pic of the column you got would be awesome! Saved me from tearing one oit and finding thr hard way. Seen a few on carpart.com so all hope is not lost, just cant believe cant find one out here...

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
is this the infamous GM Saginaw tilt column loose screws trouble? Floppy upper tilt wheel? If so, just 4 loose screws which need thread locker is the likely culprit.

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Great link..good pics not tilt mechanism though, that sector shaft bearing TOASTED..

8T2TOP

Reaction score
I believe #1 that bearing toast which affects 61 62 63 area. Can get pic of actual car tomorrow daylite...

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Pic
20170303_202850.jpg

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Aslo #12 bearing. Believe thats the upmost /top one thats toasted .

80mirada

Reaction score
I think the bracket on the column that attaches to the dash is different. I have an M-body column in my stash, it is close to a J-body one

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Thats what im hearing the u shaped bracket is different even if length floor mounting is same etc...fubar..

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, our cars use the GM (Saginaw) column – with its problems (as well).
The good news is if you can’t find a replacement part through Dodge, then you can find it from GM (different part number, though). If you can’t find it from GM, then you can find it aftermarket. Still nothing, then go find a GM column that has the same upper 1/3rd "look" to it, and take what you need from it.

The upper 1/3rd of column was used in all Chrysler vehicles in this time frame ('80-89), except for some L-bodies (Omni/Horizon). The lower 2/3rds varies from body to body.
In '90 Chrysler changed to a clam shell design, that wasn’t designed to work with FMJ bodies.

In these (1982) parts book pictures, J body is “X, S” Model (X is Mirada and S is Cordoba). “Y” is Imperial and “B, F, G” are M-body. The other models are Front Wheel Drive. Trucks and Vans are not listed here (but same upper 1/3rds of column for some of same year span).

Non-Tilt column parts details (from my '82 parts book):
82 StCom nTt Pic1.JPG

82 StCom nTt A.JPG

82 StCom nTt B.JPG

82 StCom nTt Pic2.JPG

82 StCom nTt C.JPG

82 StCom nTt D.JPG

Last edited:
Back