M-body ac into F-body ?

Volare4life

Reaction score
Well a local yard is doing a all you can carry for $60 sunday and monday and I was wondering if i can pull everything for AC from a 88 5th ave and swap it into my '79 F-body, I seem to remember the old site having info on this but i can't remember, also I know the fire walls are different between ac and non-ac f-body's, but I don't know if that will affect the swap since the later m's have flat fire walls like the non-ac f-bodies,

-Mike

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I'm sure everything in front of the firewall isn't a problem, and just assume that I would have to drill/plumb in a non A/C firewall.

I don't think there where 2 different firewalls used on the line, rather what holes where punched out.

Volare4life

Reaction score
I remember though on the AC F bodies that there is a hump in the corner of the fire wall, but obviously not one on the M, oh well I am going to make it work lol all i can carry for $60, I'm bringing a moving blanket and wrapping it all up ( everything from condenser, whole harness, ac box etc) slinging it on my back like junkyard mopar santa lol !!!

Darth-Car

Reaction score
There were many non A/C F's that had dealer installed A/C that looked normal, aside from the clearly added dash vents, where none had been. So if a dealer can make this work, you can too.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The hump on the firewall is the inlet air duct from the cowl to the blower fan. Also the right inner fender apron is different.
The non-A/C and A/C firewalls are actually quite a bit different on the '76-'79 F's. Pretty sure the 1980 F's had a flat firewall similar to M-body. Heck, we're car guys, we can improvise, adapt and fabricate to make anything fit into anything AND make it look like it belongs. Go for it!

Volare4life

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, and for $60 I plan on pulling everything leaving that car stripped when I am done lol full engine and most of the body harnesses and everything I can throw on my 72"X80" movers blanket, shoulder it and carry it out the door, I will have everything to swap in a full ac system tomorrow mwah hahaha !!!

Back