WANTED M body torsion bar bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Contact seller
!988 Diplomat non police car.
Anyone have a source for new torsion bar to frame mounting bushing? Mopar list it as "pivot package, cushion spring". Part number 04186828. I have been unable to locate these.
Scheese, it is easier to get parts for my 1960's "A" bodies, then this Dippy. Want to keep it, as I bought it new, and only has 125,000 miles.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Hello,

Are they side specific? Ive a small stack of replacement new T bar assemblies I might take one off of.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes they are side specific.

At first glance, the middle bushing is clamped on at different positions (Left vs. Right).

Also, all Chrysler torsion bars were designed for one side.
If the sides could interchange – the bar would snap just as soon as you put weight on it (if installed on wrong side). They are marked/stamped with an L and R on ends (but are hidden behind the adjustment anchor).

How many new torsion bars are you willing to sell (and for how much)?
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
I will have to see if I still have the 4186828 kits. I paid up for them when I bought them though.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
XfbodyX - I'm also not able to view your attachments. There is one file type that our forum software just doesn’t like.
If using Windows, I would recommend using Paint (or other software) to “change file type” to BMP, JPG, GIF or PNG, and then repost the pictures.

Unrelated, my cell phone takes pictures which are 5312x2988 – which pictures are huge (over 7 MB, each). Our forum software will allow you to download a file that big – but then auto reduces it down to a smaller file, and I’m not sure down to what size is.

To make upload times more manageable – I crop my pictures first (to get rid of unnecessary clutter), then reduce size of my pictures down to 2000, 2400 or 2500x(whatever) using “maintain aspect ratio” button. That leaves pictures still easy to view and file size a lot more manageable for uploading.
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I spent about 10 minutes with just water on a paper towel cleaning 30 years of dust off and the rubber is in great shape and uncracked. The end bushing looks like most out of the box "ugly" units and the mid bushing shells will clean up good.

I had thought about cleaning and repainting the bars but maybe not. The next gut can do it but the paint is rough but it is my understanding they simply dipped the bars after the manufacturing process and it did not matter if they had oil or debris since they dipped them in a heavily laq. based paint and the paint itself semi cleaned off the crud. Not sure but that is what i was told long ago.

But I remember these being ugly even when new.

Thank you for the picture posting help.

DSC00083.JPG

DSC00082.JPG

DSC00081.JPG

DSC00085.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A power washer might be a faster way to clean them – but they look just like 30 or 40 year old NOS parts to me.
Are you thinking about selling any and if so, how much?

It my understanding (which I might not be correct about), the torsion bar(s) are the same on all FMJ vehicles – same thicknesses, same spring weight weights, etc.
What I was told by my parts department, back when I worked for a Chrysler dealership decades ago, is the bushing material was a little firmer on police and taxis. The odd thing is they have so many part numbers from Chrysler on FMJ torsion bars – so I wonder about it all.
That said, I have measured several torsion bars and I cannot tell any difference between a /6 or a V8 bar.
I have a pair of '84 police bars but not measured then or compared them to non-police bars, yet.
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Hi,
I was just out looking and I do have several sets, #526R and #527L some of the casting numbers are more clear then others.

I do not know what a set is worth, I know what they were new and know what the aftermarket end bushings sell for when they can be found. Any ideas on there worth?

Maybe I should ebay a set or two to see what they might bring however I do not like the ebay fees.

thumbnail_IMG_6722a.jpg

DSC00094.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back