M bodys etc are so hard to change oil filter

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Really? It's right there easy to get to. Some cars you can hardly get your hand up to where they are and you need to turn them on all sorts of different angles to get them out dumping dirty oil down your arm and all over the place in the process. These ones are a piece of cake.

Camtron

Reaction score
I use K&N gold filters. They have a stamped nut that’s spot welded onto the bottom of the can, so you can get them on and off real easy with a ratchet, extension and socket. I switched to them after I installed headers on the car. Can’t really get a filter wrench up there anymore and if I do, don’t have much room to turn it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Change the filter on the current RAM 2500/3500 trucks with the Cummins diesel and you will think your M-body is just fine, if you don't go insane changing the Cummins one firsto_O

Sub03

Reaction score
Change the filter on the current RAM 2500/3500 trucks with the Cummins diesel and you will think your M-body is just fine, if you don't go insane changing the Cummins one firsto_O

Don't get me started on VW/Audi. Everything i try to do on them make my arms look like i've been in a catfight. Seems like they build the car arond the engine, and at the end of the day you are stuck because you need to buy some special tool to finish the job.

Our cars is a joy to wrench on with longitudinal engine/trans with lots of space around.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I worked at an Audi dealer for 6 years and know your pain well. Best thing I've ever done was to GTFO of there!

69-

Reaction score
Hey, thats a great engine, had an A6 V8 (with the extended hood) years ago. Engine never let me down and all was cool for normal tune ups. Unless you would have the RS6 V8- twin turbo. Service Manual for plug change: 1. Remove the engine
:D

M-bodies are a walk in the park...

MoparDan

Reaction score
Try changing the oil filter on a wrong wheel drive '88 Olds Touring Sedan...it's like GM designed it so you couldn't reach the filter!

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my time on a GM. Try changingg the hi beam indicater bulb on an 83 Olds 88. The dash will be on the seat, it'll need a new circuit board, 400 dollars if you hire the job out

Aspen500

Reaction score
Hey, thats a great engine, had an A6 V8 (with the extended hood) years ago. Engine never let me down and all was cool for normal tune ups. Unless you would have the RS6 V8- twin turbo. Service Manual for plug change: 1. Remove the engine
:D

M-bodies are a walk in the park...
2004 VW Passat W8 starter replacement. Step one: Lower powertrain assembly from vehicle. Sigh...............................................Headlamp bulb replacement on many different vehicles, step one: Remove front bumper cover. Change battery in some Chrysler and Dodge vehicles step one: Remove right front tire, remove forward portion of inner fender liner..................Sometimes you'd like to have 5 minutes in a room alone with automotive engineers:mad: Seriously. In the end though, all you can do is take a deep breath, dive in and have at it, 5 days a week, 8 1/2 hours a day for 45 years or so and then, retire.:cool:

Camtron

Reaction score
Come on now, some of those dodge/Chrysler vehicles, you trade off the shitty battery placement for having the oil filter right on top of the engine. Loved doing the oil changes on the Chrysler 200 I had. That 3.6 Pentastar isn’t a terrible little engine.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Ever tried to change the exhaust manifold on a 3.6L?

The oil changes might be easy - but the exhaust manifold is a completly different topic. It is almost as if it wasn't even there.

Camtron

Reaction score
The oil changes might be easy - but the exhaust manifold is a completly different topic. It is almost as if it wasn't even there.
No, but, I did replace the intake manifold and plastic thermostat housing when it was -20 outside, lol. Those were both easy as, pie. Isn’t the exhaust basically cast off the head?

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
Don't get me started on VW/Audi. Everything i try to do on them make my arms look like i've been in a catfight. Seems like they build the car arond the engine, and at the end of the day you are stuck because you need to buy some special tool to finish the job.

Our cars is a joy to wrench on with longitudinal engine/trans with lots of space around.

The filter on the 05 Touareg 4.2 isn't bad, but it has an upper and lower drain plug (two piece pan I think?). And of course, the lower one is the one seized in there, so I can't do a complete oil change.

MoparDan

Reaction score
The filter on the 05 Touareg 4.2 isn't bad, but it has an upper and lower drain plug (two piece pan I think?). And of course, the lower one is the one seized in there, so I can't do a complete oil change.
Upper and lower drain plugs? Man, for some reason this brought back memories of this one time I changed the oil on my friend's son's Fox body 5.0 Mustang (89 I think) that thing had two drain plugs one towards the front of the oil pan and towards the back of it I'd never seen anything like that before!

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
Upper and lower drain plugs? Man, for some reason this brought back memories of this one time I changed the oil on my friend's son's Fox body 5.0 Mustang (89 I think) that thing had two drain plugs one towards the front of the oil pan and towards the back of it I'd never seen anything like that before!
Well, three drain plugs actually. The filter housing has one too. The pan was aluminum, with what appeared to be stainless (but may not have been) female torx plugs.

Back