M C ROD LENGTHS

CM360

Reaction score
Just removed a power booster from my 89 Aspen. Replacing with manual brakes. Looks like the power MC rod will be too long. Is there a difference in length? The bolt holes of the booster won't match up to the non power MC bolt pattern on the firewall..

DCAspen

Reaction score
Manual Brake rod is a different length than a power brake one,What year car? 89?Chrysler changed from a 4 bolt master cylinder to a 2 bolt aluminum master in 1978.Do you have the metal firewall plate to change over to manual brakes.

CM360

Reaction score
I thought that this would be as easy as the swaps for the A and B bodies. I have the 2 bolt Mopar style MC for the replacement. No firewall plate or rod for the swap. There are 2 additional holes punched from the factory in the firewall that might be for this switch. Started thinking about cutting the booster can apart and salvage parts to work with the new combo.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The FMJ changeover is about the same as A or B bodies, but the parts are a bit harder to find (sense most FMJ's came with power brakes).

Because the brakes are power assisted, they have a step up linkage (not sure of exact name) that causes brake motion to be doubled.
brake stepup linkage.JPG

a crude example.

The brake petal is the same but master cylinder uses the lower bolt mounting holes, and therefore sits lower on the firewall.

The plate and pushrod are the hard parts to find (if converting to manual brakes).

If you reuse the “Z” style linkage – then you will find it very hard to push brake petal down.
I would look for an adjustable style pushrod if you still can’t find one to fit.

I’ve converted a few of these cars (not FMJ) over from manual to power brakes and should have kept the old parts (plates and pushrods) – but didn’t.
Reminded something about hindsight, not being what it used to be . . .
BudW

Back