Mechanical water temp gauge on a slant 6 1980 volare

shadango

Reaction score
As easy as I figured it would be to add a mechanical temp gauge to the car, I am getting stumped.

Where are you folks tapping in the water temp sensor?

There are two ports on the head at the thermostat housing on the top but they are used for the two vacuum switches......and there would not be enough room to drill a hole into the thermostat housing and mount it there if we want to keep the thermostat in.

Ideas?

I know they make an adaptor that splices into the top radiator hose...but not sure that will work due to the length of capillary tube we have to work with, plus running that capilary tube over top the intake/exhaust to get it there....

ARGH!

Also, an even dumber question.......The gauge came with three brass fittings...you must use one with the sender.......they dont have the sizes stamped on them and I am having a brain fart...how can I tell what size they are ?/I measured OD on the threaded portion and the measurements dont make sense.....

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you keeping the EGR valve system working (I don’t know your state laws on the matter, or if you are wanting it to look stock, or what).

Many radiators have one or two ports on top tank facing the engine. A lot of times one or both holes have a vacuum temperature switch in them.
Not a convenient location for an add on gauge though – but available for use for some people.

Something can be done is to remove one of the temperature vacuum switch from engine, Insert a short piece of pipe with a “T” or “Y” adaptor, then screw in your sensor into one side and the other switch into the other. Note: you will need to bleed this once cooling system is full.

Slant 6’s didn’t have a lot of places to access the coolant temp’s

BudW

shadango

Reaction score
The intention is to keep the two vacuum switches that thread into the head......only because we are keeping the emissions equipment to satisfy "visual inspection" requirements.

I am trying to find one of those adaptors that splice into the upper radiator hose and provide a port....but so far all I can find is 1/8" ports......the adaptor with our gauge is 1/4" regular thread I think.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw some on eBay, a couple months back.

The seller had about ten or so listings. They were a mid/late ‘70’s Chrysler retrofit kit, and included a vacuum switch (like the two you already have), vacuum hoses, clamps, the brass radiator hose part (painted black) you are looking for and other parts, in a 6” square box.

The same vender was also selling (at the time) about twenty or so, big block water pump rebuild kits (shafts, bearings, seals) – which I thought was odd.
That vender does rotate his eBay materials, so I would assume you could check every couple of weeks or so and find it (if you have a couple of weeks to wait, that is).
I cannot, to be best of my ability (today), remember who that venders name was – for I doubt he sold all of his kits already.

BudW

shadango

Reaction score
I keep searching but find nothing...LOL

The upper rad hose on the 1980 Volare is 1.5" at the thermostat housing and 1.25" at the radiator.....so the middle of the hose is 1.25"..

I have found some nice 1.5" adaptors with 1/4" bungs here
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Inline-Fill-Adapter-with-1-4-Inch-NPT-Fitting,9245.html

But I doubt they can squeeze in to the 1.25" center part of the hose......

ALso found these
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2282/overview/

Pricey and they have the larger 3/8" bung....I could use this except because of the design the ID of the adaptor is only .75"....that a heckuva restriction.

I guess I could use a T pipe adaptor stemming up from the vacuum switch port, use the top opening for the sensor and hopefully use the "side " port for the vacuum switch but I have to believe that the temps would be off.

Gonna look at the radiator...I think there was a pipe plug in the upper tank but notsure that would be a whole lot better since it would be monitoring temperature at the rad and not the head.

Back