Melted Blue Wire

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

There is a blue wire that goes over the left front wheel well next to the cruise control unit. There is a rubber Y with few wires going into it, I have found the blue wire is melted, is this a common problem? Does anyone know what that wire is for? See attached photo.

I have put black insulation tape over it to stop any shorts.

Thanks
Bruce

wire.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
That is a fusible link. It has the same function as a fuse. If it's melted, something on the circuit(s) it feeds is shorted or overloaded. Do NOT replace it with a regular wire. Only replace it with the correct gauge fusible link (hypalon) wire. The links are one gauge size smaller than the circuit wire and has a special insulation that will melt,,,,,,but not burn. They make a ton of smoke when they fry and STINK really bad.
The fuse links were replaced on newer cars in the last 20 years with the 40, 50, 60,,,,,,,250 amp mega fuses under the hood which didn't exist in the '70's and '80's.

What that link feeds, I'm not sure. On a '79 F-body it feeds the ignition switch and fuse block (and certain fuses), also goes to the headlamp switch. They show another DBL fuse link which feeds the rear window defogger, if equipped. In other words, you'll have to do some tracing.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I have never had smoke come out from there since I have had it nor have I smelt anything really bad, I have not checked the rear defogger but everything else seems to work. The link didn't appear to be complete shot. How do you replace it, can you buy that Y thing with all the fuse-able links in it?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Could just be a high resistance in the splice (the y-thing) that caused it to overheat. If it was a short circuit, it would have burned in half, like a fuse.
I doubt you can get the y-thing. You'll need to get a length of fuse link wire and splice it in yourself. Most any auto parts store will have fuse links. The again, NZ may be different. Not familiar with what types of stores you've got there.

My '79 F-body wire diagram shows the DBL (dark blue) links as 16 gauge.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Could just be a high resistance in the splice (the y-thing) that caused it to overheat or the circuit was overloaded at some point. If it was a short to gorund, it would have burned in half, like a fuse.
I doubt you can get the y-thing. You'll need to get a length of fuse link wire and splice it in yourself. Most any auto parts store will have fuse links. The again, NZ may be different. Not familiar with what types of stores you've got there.

My '79 F-body wire diagram shows the DBL (dark blue) links as 16 gauge.

Back