minor maintance on my engine

9secRR

Reaction score
out of curiosity I decided to check my valve lash this morning. it sounded a little off the other day. good thing I checked. 2 pushrods had blue tips and valve lash moved a bit. replaced the pushrods and put new adjusters in the rockers.

I think I know what cause this. no oil on cold starts. it sat for 1 month. I usually pull the valve covers and squirt oil on the push rods but this time I didn't and it cost me.

it's back together and next week it's drag time!

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
My dad's fifth was outfitted with a toggle switch on the coil (+). His craftiness. He would put a good number of cranks on the engine and then close the switch and fire up the engine. His way of pre-oiling. He never smoked an engine. He did this on several of his cars starting with his 58 Triumph, 53 chevy, 69 Valiant, 68 C10, 77 Chevelle and finally his 83 Fifth. So he put the same fixture on my brother's 73 Grand fury and 71 Dart. My Volare, my sister's Aspen didn't get it since I was already thrashing rears, motors and transmissions. My sister kept bounce'n the Aspen off immovable objects.I guess the old man figured- what was point to pre lube something destined to be wrecked. Might want to think that whole pre lube coil killer switch- perhaps?

jasperjacko

Reaction score
That seems like a lot of heat for just startup. Have you checked for proper oiling while it's running?

Back