Mirror disassemblely

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Afternoon guys, I had bought a set of colored/manual sport mirrors for the doba and was looking to just use the casing since the cables are still good on mine. Is there any way I can pull the cables out of the control socket or would I have to cut the cables? Let me know. Thanks.

Joe12459

Reaction score
You can remove the entire assembly, with the cables still attached. If I remember correctly, you have to remove the two screws from the underside of the mirror, and the assembly can be removed. I don't remember if there are more screws behind the glass, but I know it can be removed as a unit and placed in a new housing, because I had to do that once before.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The mirrors basically can't be taken apart. I tried once and it doesn't work well at all:eek: The glass will break trying to get it out to access the screws behind it and the cables are crimped to the mechanism, etc............................
About the only disassembly that can be done is to remove the pedestal from the mirror housing for better painting but, it's still got the cables running through it.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the J body mirrors are a completely different design than F or M bodies, and look more like the K or E cars (but could be mistaken).

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
That's what I was worried about. I have the housing removed and hanging there. I guess Ill just have to use the whole assembly. I just thought there was a way you could remove the cables from the adjuster without having to cut it. Ok thanks for the input.

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
It sounds a little shaky, but u can take a cut off wheel and make a cut along the bottom and inner edge of the mirror housing (closest to the door window) and then the cables can be removed through the slit that u created. Afterwards u can use fiberglass cloth and resin or epoxy to fill the cut line, but really it won't be noticeable if u use a 1/16 or 1/32 cut off wheel.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I just had my passenger side one off, they are a prick of a thing, you can only get access to 2 of the 3 screws on the bottom of the mirror. Take door card off, undo the 3 bolts that hold the metal bracket, this gives you access to all the screws on the bottom side of the mirror. From there you should be able to wiggle it out. The middle screw holds the mirror in, the outer screws hold cover on. Give your self plenty of time to get it back together!

Back