My J Body

CUSEMIRADA83

Reaction score
Its an 83 Mirada, non CMX.
Stock it came with the 318/904 & 7 1/4 set up. All of that has been replaced with a mild 360 with a stock(for now) A500 and a 8 1/4 3:55 sure grip in the rear. Converted the rear brakes to disc from a junkyard ZJ(Grand Cherokee). All new brake system from master to calipers with nickle/copper lines throughout. The pics show a set of jeep tires I had to put on to pass inspection as the old ones were dry rotted for sitting for 6 years. I have been lurking on here for some time and thought I should post my obsession for you all to enjoy. It seems we are all J-bodyaholics, and this is my stash to share with you, as you have shared with me. I will update with any changes I make in the future.
Mirada Man

20151115_185019.jpg

2015-11-15 22.46.32-1.jpg

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
Its an 83 Mirada, non CMX.
Stock it came with the 318/904 & 7 1/4 set up. All of that has been replaced with a mild 360 with a stock(for now) A500 and a 8 1/4 3:55 sure grip in the rear. Converted the rear brakes to disc from a junkyard ZJ(Grand Cherokee). All new brake system from master to calipers with nickle/copper lines throughout. The pics show a set of jeep tires I had to put on to pass inspection as the old ones were dry rotted for sitting for 6 years. I have been lurking on here for some time and thought I should post my obsession for you all to enjoy. It seems we are all J-bodyaholics, and this is my stash to share with you, as you have shared with me. I will update with any changes I make in the future.
Mirada Man

Very nice and good info....I bought a new 83 Mirada back when and now I have an 80 CMX. Did you make your own brake lines or buy them? Any fabrication issues installing the rear disc brakes from the ZJ? How many R's are you turning at 65mph with the 3:55 gear and 15 inch tires? I'm putting the 3:55 sure grip set up in my 8 1/4 right now...the math shows I will be turning 3200 rpms...thx and welcome

kkritsilas

Reaction score
High Speed:

The RPM should be reduced by roughly 31%, so RPMs should be down about 992 RPM at the same 60 MPH speed (to just over 2200 RPM). This is based on the A500 overdrive ratio being 0.69.

CUSEMIRADA83:

Nice car, very clean. is the paint colour white, or two tone?

Last edited:

CUSEMIRADA83

Reaction score
HSP: The only fabricating I had to do was the center axle housing hole in the backing plate needed to be opened a little. Like a 1/100". holes lined up and bolted right on. As for the OD just like KK says 2200 at cruising speed. the unit will make your final drive ratio 2.45. ( 3.55 x .69 = 2.45)

KK: It is two tone pearl white on top and silver on the bottom. Not as good looking up close, tho.lol

kkritsilas

Reaction score
CUSEMIRADA83:

I don't know if thet was a factory standard paint job or not, but either way, hope you can do something to improve it, and if not, you should repaint it the same colours. Looks really, really good.

CUSEMIRADA83

Reaction score
Thanks for Props, everyone. I certainly don't get any from the wife..haha.

HSP: BTW, I did have to bend my own lines. However, this new copper/nickle stuff is easy to manipulate. And its reasonably priced.

Joe12459

Reaction score
Oh, ok. I met someone that said he had a white Mirada with a Cordoba nose, in the upstate NY area. I thought it might be you. Maybe you bought it from him? Anyway, you have a sweet car!

CUSEMIRADA83

Reaction score
That reminds me, I put the front clip of my 82 Cordoba LS on this car because the Cordoba was a rust pile and the Mirada clip was damaged. I bought this car back in 2000.. Also, not visible in these pics is the fact that I swapped out the Mirada taillights for the Cordobas.

Back