NAG1 in an F body

ekaz

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this should go in Engine Swaps or under Transmissions, so I took the gamble and posting here. So, I've searched and haven't really found anything about swapping a NAG1 into an F-body. Has anyone done it? Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

Thanks!

ekaz

Reaction score
@Joe12459 , I was just looking at some of pics and posts....awesome project. Not sure I'm up for swapping in a whole interior though. :)

ekaz

Reaction score
Mine is more budget and availability driven. I have a 5.7 longblock (minus the intake manifold) and a complete wiring harness from a 6.1. I just need to hunt down a PCM and I'll have the engine taken care of. I'm debating on keeping the 904, switching to a 727, or upgrading to a NAG1. Since I'm not doing this until over the winter, debating on the engine plans...stay stock and just throw a cam in it, throw a stroker kit in it, or leave it and just add boost. The heads are getting boxed up for some love in a few weeks.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, It will take a bit more work to insert into a F or M body than a J body, because transmission crossmembers are different.

Before you start, I would find someway to get measurements first with car on ground or with car on wheel supported lift.
Measure one K-frame bolt to ground and the transmission slip yoke (the flat surface that slides into transmission) to ground.

Once engine is bolted in and transmission is held up with a jack (or something), re-measure both points. The distance of the pre-selected K-frame bolt might be different - due to weight difference on engine. If so, add (or subtract) that measurement distance to to distance of slip yoke to ground.
Raise (or lower) transmission on jack to know where to modify transmission crossmember at/to.
Note: Have the transmission crossmember made/modified a bit low, for you can always add shims/washers under mount to raise transmission up (easier to add than to subtract).

When done with your crossmember, you might want to take pictures and show here (with measurements) for I’m sure others will want to know what you did so they can make a duplicate.

I have a suspicion the NAG1 will be a somewhat common changeover.
I would - but would much rather go 5 or 6 speed stick.

ekaz

Reaction score
Thanks Bud, I think the NAG1 will be choice. I just found a TCM in my toolbox tonight, so one more step closer.

Joe12459

Reaction score
Mine is more budget and availability driven. I have a 5.7 longblock (minus the intake manifold) and a complete wiring harness from a 6.1. I just need to hunt down a PCM and I'll have the engine taken care of. I'm debating on keeping the 904, switching to a 727, or upgrading to a NAG1. Since I'm not doing this until over the winter, debating on the engine plans...stay stock and just throw a cam in it, throw a stroker kit in it, or leave it and just add boost. The heads are getting boxed up for some love in a few weeks.
Mine started out that way, but quickly got out of control. The plan was to build it to be as reliable as a new car, using as many factory parts as possible, without spending a lot of money. When I managed to get an 08 Charger parts car for a great price, I thought I was headed in the right direction. I still think it could be done on a reasonably small budget, as long as you stick to your original plan.

Back