NASCAR. Stands look empty

Justwondering

Reaction score
whats the reason(s) behind the big drop in fans in the stands?

How do they keep making enough money?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
NASCRAP has forgotten its roots, a failed diversification attempt has pushed away the loyal fans. Not to mention Dodge MotorSports haven't been running for awhile and toyota's are...... The Confederate Flag controversy along with NASCARS "Flag Exchange" program, further pushed away its loyal fan base. New rules, including "stages" and "competition cautions " are a complaint amongst fans.
Monster Energy Drink is a new NASCAR Sponsor and will hopefully get more people to attend. Pocono RaceWay had a "Free Friday", in which case the parking and admission was FREE on Friday for the ARCA Race. There are typically Truck Races on Saturday and NASCAR Races on Sunday. I attend the Pocono Race, as an infield Reserved FenceLine spectator in my motor home. I enter on Thursday and leave Sunday night or Monday, the cost is $250 for the reserved fence line spot and that includes two adult tickets. So for the money, it's cheaper than any local campground for me, plus there's live music bands Fri and Sat night along with fireworks Sat night. I see 3 Races, practice and qualifying goes on all of Fri and Sat. Plus the "party" on the infield is just insane... I go for the drinking, partying, drinking, eating, drinking and hanging with the family.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I watched NASCAR when I was young (teens). Nothing til my brother came to stay with me and he watches it some but is also baffled.
We decided to pay more attention to the races this year.
The stands look mostly empty.

The local commentator they have looks and acts gay although I've been told he's really 'metro sexual' --whatever the hell that is. Either way its very offputting. The things he thinks are interesting to talk about make me wonder if he is there to watch the car race or looking for a garage sale.

The stages thing is confounding and changing the rules every race seems like there is no way to win. There's no way to audit the officials decisions, there's no way to know all the info on why the contestants wound up with or without points, the points seem to be magically gven and taken away.

This just seems too much like 'The Great Oz' who knows whats behind the curtain.

I still don't see how they make enough money to pay the drivers or the raceway owners.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
NASCAR for years has only been concerned with putting on a "SHOW", not races. They capped off their decline with the "Car of Tomorrow", where they totally divorced the race cars from cars you could buy at the dealers (ever wonder what happened to the "Stock Car" part of NASCAR). Fan's brand loyalty got thrown in the dumpster. Now, I know that the Thunderbirds that Bill Elliot drove had little resemblance to what was at the Ford dealers, or the Chargers that Richard Petty was driving bore no resemblance (mechanically) to the Dodge dealer's Chargers, but they did look like the cars they were based on. Fans could cheer for their brand. Now, we get 2 door V-8 Impalas (that don't exist) racing against 2 door V-8 Fusions/Tauruses (whatever name they are using this year, that don't exist) and 2 door V-8 Camrys (that don't exist). And all of these are models that nobody cares about, and that all look the same. Allow Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, and Solaras to race against each other, and then you may see the crowds start to come back. And let the cars look like something that is at the dealers, and allow the use of Hemis, LSs or LTs, Modular/Coyote, and turbo 4 cylinder engines, not limit them to engines that haven't been made for 20 years. It is also imperative that FCA/Dodge be brought back into NASCAR. We may be fewer in number, but we are more dedicated.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
For me it's partially the so called cars and stupid rules along with the newer drivers. Give me names like Petty, Allison, Yarborough,,,,,,,,,,,,and the rules they had, those were the days. Plus, the cars actually started out as a production car and you could tell the makes by the body, not by trying to see what grille/headlight decal is that's stuck to the front end of cars that all look exactly the same. Watch a race from the '60's or '70's. The sound of big blocks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,better than sex. Now they sound like bumble bees. Yawn.

DCAspen

Reaction score
I feel the same way about Drag Racing,Pro stock looks more like Funny cars

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Indy car has jumped the shark too.
Used to be always something new and wild at the Indy 500, but now it's cookie cutter cars with engine a or b.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
It may be of interest to know that Formula 1 has been having the same problems in recent years. What they have done to try and address this is to allow cars to be louder, eliminated refueling stops, and they have always had a fairly simple points system (25-18-16....) on down to 10th place. No points for qualifying, no points for laps lead, or at the half race distance. No pace car during the race. This year, attendance is actually up.

NASCAR needs to figure out that people are there to see a RACE, not a SHOW. People can watch shows at home, and do, all the time. The point of being at a race is to see racing up close and in the read world. I used to be a big race fan, was a fan of Cale Yarborough, David Pearson,Bill Elliot, and then later on to Tony Stewart and now Ryan Newman. I quite honestly, really don't care about NASCAR any more.I still watch Formula 1, but not NASCAR and not Indy Car, I guess I just got tired of watching the same guys running in circles for 250 laps, in cars that all look the same.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I think that last sentence says it all...
watching the same guys running in circles for 250 laps in cars that all look the same

Its more interesting to watch the pit crew work... or fail

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I lost interest when they started letting rice-a-roni run around the track, and all of the cars started to look like the same egg with different stickers.

Back