WANTED Need 4bbl Air Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Contact seller
I have a 77 Plymouth Volare, intend to do an engine swap and upgrade to a 4bbl. I need a stock air cleaner for smog purposes. I'm looking for a stock 4bbl airbox for a thermoquad, or perhaps QD, preferably one without the lean burn computer, like what some of the 80s cop cars had. I know because I owned a few in the past. Much obliged for any help.

Mr C

Reaction score
Good luck. The Lean burn dual snorkel is one of the hardest dual snorkels to find.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
No dual snorkel, not what I'm looking for at all. The two fleet diplomats I owned didn't have any dual snorkel. They both had a 4bbl air box with a single snorkel fed from a cold air tube mounted to the fender, just like mine. Only difference is, mine is currently a 2bbl. Soon to be upgraded to 4bbl.

Mr C

Reaction score
Ah, LB 4 bbl single snorkels are pretty plentiful, but few in good shape. They get kicked around a lot by muscle car types because they are "useless" in their opinion...so expect a lot of dings. There are 2 types, a deep pan used on 70's C body 440s (will likely have clerance issues) and a shallow pan, used on 360s and I think B body 400s. I think the shallow one is what you want.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The preferred air cleaner to get would be the late ’77 or newer 4-bbl to ~’80 or so (BCFJMR body) – for the air filter element is larger and has outside air attachment.

The newer Police air cleaners use the smaller air filter on some of them (a few got the wider air filter).
Many police air cleaners do not have the Lean Burn attached to it (the computers are in the cabin).

I haven’t seen an F or M body with a dual snorkel air cleaner – but that doesn’t mean they didn’t come that way (would have to be a ’76 if they did – without outside air).

Police air cleaners are not easy to find (I’ve been looking for one, but not a top priority to find).
BudW

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Many police air cleaners do not have the Lean Burn attached to it (the computers are in the cabin).

This I am well aware, as I have owned two mid eighties Diplomat fleet vehicles before. Preferable to have a lean burn delete type air box, since mine is a pre-lean burn car. One thing I liked about the fleet diplomat air box, was its low profile. It fit tight under the hood. This will be important as I ordered an eddy 3776 intake manifold. They sit higher than a stock manifold. Worst comes to worst, I'll cut a hood scoop to fit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back