Need carb/intake advice

Luis Q

Reaction score
Hey all,
Hope everyone had a good Christmas. Here's my question. My intake manifold has taken a dump, cracked near the water outlet housing and now it's dumping all of its antifreeze. I'm looking at buying an Edelbrock 7576 Performer/RPM Air-Gap intake. I read somewhere that the factory 4 bbl (police package) won't bolt up directly. If that's the case, is it possible to use a adapter? I know adapters are meant to be used with aftermarket carbs on factory intakes, but could it work upside down? I would consider buying an Edelbrock carb and new distributor, but I'm knee deep in a full overhaul on my other ride that's currently got a grip on my wallet. I just need to get the old girl back on the road again and when overhaul time comes for her, hopefully at the end of 2016, I'll throw in a new carb and distributor. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
You can use the adapter upside-down with no problem. You will probably want to double-check your throttle cable travel and readjust your kickdown linkage so it's all the way back with the throttle wide open, but I don't foresee any issues with the extra height. The last time I used one was on a 4-speed car so there was no kickdown, but the throttle was fine.
However, you will be missing the rear boss for your AC compressor with the Air Gap intake. I think the standard Performer intake (2176) is the only aftermarket intake with that boss; I'm sure someone will chime in if there's a Weiand or other option with it. Problem with the standard Performer is that it doesn't "perform" as well as your OE intake, especially with the 360 heads on your engine. More torque off-idle, but less torque at peak as well as a significant HP loss. The Air Gap, on the other hand, is a dandy intake--so long as you can come up with a workaround for your AC mounting.

Grandmas84

Reaction score
The airgap would work good. As would a Weiand stealth. But like Nocar340 said. No boss for the ac compressor. You can easily resolve that by removing the ac, running a single belt on the front alternator pully and grinding a fin on the watetpump housing slightly. You'll know what i mean if you look. The power steering belt should be the correct length to use on the alternator for running no ac. You may have to remove the 4 bolts holding the fan on to get the belt over the crank pully. That's a good time to check the length on the power steering belt to see if its the right length (it should be). Then just by an identical belt as the power steering to use on the alternator.

NoCar340

Reaction score
There has to be a way to make that arrangement work with more than the one crappy aftermarket intake that has a boss for it.

I have an idea that might work, but I'm going to have to take some measurements and see if it can be done feasibly.

Last edited:

Monkeyed

Reaction score
there are other more compact compressors you'd have to fabricate a bracket for though, and figure out the fittings

Luis Q

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pic of a 318 with the factory compressor? I won't be able to look at mine until Saturday. It's a hard decision to make because A/C is damn near a necessity in Florida and I plan on moving there over the summer. I've spent most of my 41 years of life without it so I'd like to be able to treat myself with some A/C.

Luis Q

Reaction score
Well, I looked at the car today. The A/C compressor is a two bolt compressor the bolts to the bracket. I fi remember correctly, my Fifth had a compressor that had a bracket that went to the intake. My Dip is a former police car so it has a completely different bracket up front. There's a support that comes off of the intake and goes to that bracket. So I guess the intake will have to come with that boss because A/C or not, the smog pump, alternator, and P/S pump, right?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well, I looked at the car today. The A/C compressor is a two bolt compressor the bolts to the bracket. I fi remember correctly, my Fifth had a compressor that had a bracket that went to the intake. My Dip is a former police car so it has a completely different bracket up front. There's a support that comes off of the intake and goes to that bracket. So I guess the intake will have to come with that boss because A/C or not, the smog pump, alternator, and P/S pump, right?

In theory, but I'm no expert. maybe Doc or Cap'n C could tell ya

I don't really know the difference between the cop setup vs the civvy one but I'll snap some pics of the setup on my Fifth tomorrow.

NoCar340

Reaction score
The Imperials use the "police car" accessory drives with the big 100A Motorola alternator. It was standard on those two models and optional on the rest. It requires the same boss on the intake for the AC as the standard-alternator arrangement. I just uninstalled one a month or so ago as well as still having a complete, running Imperial.

Luis Q

Reaction score
The Imperials use the "police car" accessory drives with the big 100A Motorola alternator. It was standard on those two models and optional on the rest. It requires the same boss on the intake for the AC as the standard-alternator arrangement. I just uninstalled one a month or so ago as well as still having a complete, running Imperial.
So I'll have to have a boss welded to the intake or don't get the air gap, NoCar?

80mirada

Reaction score
After a quick look, Edelbrock Performer and Performer RPM, both have the boss according to the images in the catalog as do the Weiand Action Plus and the Stealth. The RPM Air-Gap and the knockoffs do not. The old Edelbrock LD340 and LD4 had them, but it is common to see them ground down.

aspen77rt

Reaction score
You can use the adapter upside-down with no problem. You will probably want to double-check your throttle cable travel and readjust your kickdown linkage so it's all the way back with the throttle wide open, but I don't foresee any issues with the extra height. The last time I used one was on a 4-speed car so there was no kickdown, but the throttle was fine.
However, you will be missing the rear boss for your AC compressor with the Air Gap intake. I think the standard Performer intake (2176) is the only aftermarket intake with that boss; I'm sure someone will chime in if there's a Weiand or other option with it. Problem with the standard Performer is that it doesn't "perform" as well as your OE intake, especially with the 360 heads on your engine. More torque off-idle, but less torque at peak as well as a significant HP loss. The Air Gap, on the other hand, is a dandy intake--so long as you can come up with a workaround for your AC mounting.

The Torker II has the boss too. It is a single plane and probably not good for his set up.

5076.jpg

_57-jpg.jpg

Back