Need hood - 80 Volare

Cormac

Reaction score
I need help! I had the paint removed on my 80 Volare with the "dustless" method and the guy warped the hood. I need a hood! Help!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You have me wondering about this “dustless” method.

Sandblasting?
Chemical striping?
Sunburn lotion (and lots of sun)?

Sorry, I don’t have a hood.
BudW

Cormac

Reaction score
"Dustless" essentially blasts glass fragments at the surface in a mix of high pressure air and some water. A good amount of the water sublimates on impact leaving only a small amount of water on the surface. The water is mixed with some sort of stabilizing agent so that the bare metal is good for 72 hours or so. I was surprised at how little water he used for about 200# of media. I'm quite peeved at having spent almost $1000 on the process to have to spend time, effort and money to replace damaged parts.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I can understand that. For $1,000 – I want close to perfection.

There are three kinds of blasting out there and I’m quite familiar with two of them.

One is blasting with sand – which is not very good for most automotive items. I’ve used it on housing and concrete repairs.

Next one is with glass beads. Sometimes referred to bead blasting. Glass beads work great for metal brackets and engine components – just as long as items are thicker and are washed well after cleaning. Remaining glass beads might be as bad as leaving a large handful of dirt inside of a fresh engine rebuild. I’ve spent numerous hours/days/weeks using bead blasting.

Lastly is soda blasting. Not worked with this one before – but is by far the the best for automotive sheet metal.

Sand is way-to-abrasive for most anything automotive related.

Glass bead is great for iron, steel (brackets), pulleys, etc. – but is a bit harsh on aluminum and can cause hot spots (ie: warpage) on sheet metal.

All use compressed air – with compressed air there is a big need to have air/water filters in them to remove the water moisture and oil.
I’ve not heard of an additive like you mentioned – but I’ve not done any kind of blasting for many years.

I am surprised someone glass bead blasted a car and expected body panels not to warp!
BudW

Cormac

Reaction score
I can understand that. For $1,000 – I want close to perfection.

There are three kinds of blasting out there and I’m quite familiar with two of them.

One is blasting with sand – which is not very good for most automotive items. I’ve used it on housing and concrete repairs.

Next one is with glass beads. Sometimes referred to bead blasting. Glass beads work great for metal brackets and engine components – just as long as items are thicker and are washed well after cleaning. Remaining glass beads might be as bad as leaving a large handful of dirt inside of a fresh engine rebuild. I’ve spent numerous hours/days/weeks using bead blasting.

Lastly is soda blasting. Not worked with this one before – but is by far the the best for automotive sheet metal.

Sand is way-to-abrasive for most anything automotive related.

Glass bead is great for iron, steel (brackets), pulleys, etc. – but is a bit harsh on aluminum and can cause hot spots (ie: warpage) on sheet metal.

All use compressed air – with compressed air there is a big need to have air/water filters in them to remove the water moisture and oil.
I’ve not heard of an additive like you mentioned – but I’ve not done any kind of blasting for many years.

I am surprised someone glass bead blasted a car and expected body panels not to warp!
BudW

Thank you for your message. The system uses both media (glass) and water and as such is supposed to be resistant to heat buildup and warping. The contractor's website said it and the contractor and his assistant repeated it multiple times on site. They had formerly specialized in soda blasting but claimed that painters don't like it because it alkalyzes the metal and requires excessive washing and treating before a car can be painted.

I may have made a very expensive mistake, but please understand that I did my homework before hiring and I'm not stupid.

barnfind

Reaction score
IMG_3111.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Cormac - no offence meant or intended.

Blasting, is not (until now?) dust-free and I was trying to understand how.
Thank you for explaining.
BudW

Cormac

Reaction score
Cormac - no offence meant or intended.

Blasting, is not (until now?) dust-free and I was trying to understand how.
Thank you for explaining.
BudW

Thank you for your response. I still don't see how that last line, especially the bolded part, could be intended in the spirit of inquiry. Both the contractor and the videos he linked to specified that the "dustless" system was generally safe from warping, even the painter agreed.

Back