Need part list.....

TechNoGeek

Reaction score
OK educational time....
Break out those Manuals and help me! Please!
Does anyone have a picture and part list for a 75-76 New Yorker Steering column with telescopic feature? I also was told that it is called "Eldorado Style" but not sure what that means. Maybe another Big body Chrysler might be the same.
OR if you know someone with Telescopic lock parts, I'm interested!!
Also if you have knowledge about this subject please educate me....

TechNoGeek

Reaction score
Volare77
Thank you for the info. I didn't find what I needed but the manuals are GREAT!.
If you or others are aware of other resources like this for other years I'm very interest
Thank you!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The ’74-78 C-body (New Yorker, Newport, Town & Country, Dodge Royal Monaco and Plymouth Gran Fury) steering columns are different from anything else Chrysler made – including the pre-’74 C-bodies.
If a person had a lot of fabrication skills, I’m sure one can make one fit – but it is a lot more work than I’m willing to do.

When I worked for Chrysler, we referred to them as three different columns:
Non-tilt
Tilt (Note: tilt columns changed completely after ’79. ’80 and up are way different from ’79 and down tilt columns)
Tilt and Telescopic (or Telescopic for short) – which only came in the ’74-78 C-bodies.
Note: ’74-78 C-bodies did come with all three column choices: Chrysler and high end Dodge/Plymouth came with Telescopic option.

The dash mount is different from the pre-’74 models, but floor hole and underhood part is the same – from other C-bodies,

Everything is different - on all other models (floor hole, under hood mounting/length, and dash mount).
Then, like FMJ’s, the electrical portion is also different between the years.

At one time, I could tell you what a steering column came out of – just by the floor hole. Each Chrysler body had a different floor hole, including a different one for pickups and another different one for vans.
In other words, All A-bodies had one style column style. All B and R-bodies had one style floor hole, All C-bodies, FMJ’s all share a floor hole (different from everything else), etc.

The odd thing is the R-body dash is similar to a J-body (but is not, exactly). The R and J-body column is the same after the floor plate upwards – but floor plates, and underhood parts of each column are completely different.

I had a friend who tried to make one fit a late ‘70’s Body and another person who spend months trying to get one to fit into his pickup (he got it to fit his pickup, but, um, didn’t look so good

The friend with the B-body gave up because it was physically too long, and he didn’t to cut it to pieces to make it fit.

I would love to have Telescopic columns in my cars – but also don’t want it that bad to get them.

With the front bench seat in full back position, my wife cannot physically get behind the steering wheel on my wagon. She can into my 5th Ave, but it has power 6-way seats and a tilt column. I have plans on installing tilt column into the wagon, for her, but got other automotive things to get done, first.

Never heard that system being called “Eldorado style”, until just now.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention: EVERYTHING is different between a C-body Tilt vs. Tilt and Telescopic columns.

You can’t even exchange the internal screws between the two tilt heads on them.

The Telescopic part of the column is between the turn signal switch and steering wheel itself.
Too make room, the steering wheels on Telescopic columns are flat whereas the other vehicles have a good size V-shape to the steering wheels.
The easy way to know if a car was Telescopic was to look for the flat steering wheel.
BudW

TechNoGeek

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
I was told by a guy at a Steering Rebuild company that it was a 75 or 76 because of the features of Cruse control, turn signal, tilt, telescopic and hazard flasher button it was from most likly a Newyorker.
I will try to add a picture if that helps. It all works great except no locking components for the Telescopic shaft, so that freaks you out occasionally if i forget and pull on the wheel.

DE9D769E-1793-4D1C-AC64-04725AEB6921.jpeg

C3B348E6-9DB9-4982-93EC-52295C148692.jpeg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I should back up here a moment (another one of the many things I have forgotten), the ’74-78 C-body cars all came with non-tilt OR Tilt with Telescopic – so hopefully I didn’t lead you astray earlier.

I also should say, the Telescopic columns have another lever to move to “prevent” wheel movement (in-out), located in the bottom of steering wheel.
Even with the lever locked – you could still move wheel in or out, if you tried hard.
77 FSM pg 19-47a.JPG

I think this is the first time I have seen a Chrysler Telescopic column with an aftermarket steering wheel on it.
IF you had the rest of the factory steering wheel, you might be able to adapt the rest of the parts onto your existing steering wheel, maybe.

A nice looking dash, you have there!
BudW

Mr C

Reaction score
The ’74-78 C-body (New Yorker, Newport, Town & Country, Dodge Royal Monaco and Plymouth Gran Fury) steering columns are different from anything else Chrysler made – including the pre-’74 C-bodies.
If a person had a lot of fabrication skills, I’m sure one can make one fit – but it is a lot more work than I’m willing to do.

When I worked for Chrysler, we referred to them as three different columns:
Non-tilt
Tilt (Note: tilt columns changed completely after ’79. ’80 and up are way different from ’79 and down tilt columns)
Tilt and Telescopic (or Telescopic for short) – which only came in the ’74-78 C-bodies.
Note: ’74-78 C-bodies did come with all three column choices: Chrysler and high end Dodge/Plymouth came with Telescopic option.

The dash mount is different from the pre-’74 models, but floor hole and underhood part is the same – from other C-bodies,

Everything is different - on all other models (floor hole, under hood mounting/length, and dash mount).
Then, like FMJ’s, the electrical portion is also different between the years.

At one time, I could tell you what a steering column came out of – just by the floor hole. Each Chrysler body had a different floor hole, including a different one for pickups and another different one for vans.
In other words, All A-bodies had one style column style. All B and R-bodies had one style floor hole, All C-bodies, FMJ’s all share a floor hole (different from everything else), etc.

The odd thing is the R-body dash is similar to a J-body (but is not, exactly). The R and J-body column is the same after the floor plate upwards – but floor plates, and underhood parts of each column are completely different.

I had a friend who tried to make one fit a late ‘70’s Body and another person who spend months trying to get one to fit into his pickup (he got it to fit his pickup, but, um, didn’t look so good

The friend with the B-body gave up because it was physically too long, and he didn’t to cut it to pieces to make it fit.

I would love to have Telescopic columns in my cars – but also don’t want it that bad to get them.

With the front bench seat in full back position, my wife cannot physically get behind the steering wheel on my wagon. She can into my 5th Ave, but it has power 6-way seats and a tilt column. I have plans on installing tilt column into the wagon, for her, but got other automotive things to get done, first.

Never heard that system being called “Eldorado style”, until just now.
BudW
They are sometimes referred to as Eldorado wheels because the tilt tele column was sourced by Chrysler from GM. There is a mini wire harness to bridge the delco column to the Mopar wiring harness in the car. The non tilt column was all Mopar and plugged directly in.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
These pages are from my ’77 Factory Parts Manual:
77 FPM pg 19-10a.JPG

77 FPM pg 19-10b.JPG

77 FPM pg 19-11a.JPG

77 FPM pg 19-11b.JPG

12 . 6029 945 . 1 . all . NUT, Strg. Column Shaft, Attaching Strg. Wheel (somehow got left off of picture)
77 FPM pg 19-12.JPG

are sometimes referred to as Eldorado wheels because . . .
I hadn’t heard that before – but that could be why all of the part numbers between tilt columns are different from the Tilt-Telescopic columns.
BudW

Back