Need Tune up Specs For 1977 Plymouth 318

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Okay, I just replaced the timing chain and all of the ignition components on my 1977 Plymouth Volare Wagon. It has an automatic transmission and is equipped with air conditioning. Now I want to set the ignition timing, can anyone tell me the proper specs? My emissions label is long gone and there seems to be allot of speculation out there on the web. Primarily need to know ignition timing setting and min idle rpm. Much appreciated.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Unfortunetly no, the pics you posted on the leaf spring thread are kind of fuzzy and some sections of the emissions label are unreadable. I can't identify the settings that I'm looking for.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, um, after looking at pictures – I agree, not much to read there – sorry about that.
The numbers might not matter anyway – sense Federal and California numbers are different.

How about this:
77 Serv Manual Specs.JPG

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Well, um, after looking at pictures – I agree, not much to read there – sorry about that.
The numbers might not matter anyway – sense Federal and California numbers are different.

How about this:
View attachment 17268

This gives me the information I need, thank you. Ignition timing for a California Vehicle. TDC @ 850 rpm. That rpm seems so high, but my car does have AC too. And it shows my carb Carter BBD 8096S, so these numbers look accurate.

I think the problems I'm experiencing are from the carburetor not being set correctly. When I got the car the vacuum lines were a mess and components were disconnected, electrical leads and vacuum lines. I'm sure the carburetor has seen some unruly adjustments. I'll start there, resetting the idle mixture screws, fast idle rpm, and curb idle then adjust the time accordingly.

I'm not convinced the vibration dampener has slipped, the timing mark is still in line with the woodruff key, Im pretty certain that is right on. I have the car close to home now, so I can work on it more frequently :D no more ex gf's house!

IMG_2208[1].JPG
IMG_2207[1].JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m just happy that people actually ask questions, I have answers to.

90% of the rest of the time, I don’t have a clue.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
You got some fresh blood in the house, not so much with mopars but with Volares & Aspens. I'll use all the know how I can get. :p

Leizurtime

Reaction score
After much trial and tribulation, that is, one brake light inspection, 3 smog inspections, thousands of dollars and much blood sweat and tears, the 77 Volare Wagon finally met all California smog standards and recieved new tags today. The Punisher license plate will be making way for brand new plates. Thanks for all the tune up info, it helped greatly.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the part # for the OSAC NOX Valve mounted on the air cleaner? I've seen a few floating around out there, but they seem to be very vehicle, powerplant, and era specific.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
This is from my ’77 parts manual.
OSAC vv 318.JPG

3755582 VAC DELAY NOX, MSRP $24.50 (as of today, in very limited numbers from Chrysler)
3755600 no longer available from Chrysler – but appears to be from some venders.
BudW

Leizurtime

Reaction score
Ok great, now can anyone recommend a good brand for a choke thermostat? Got a brand new duralast and it's junk, can't tune the fast idle worth a damn. I'd like a NOS Mopar, but even the original CT can be spendy. Additionally, is there a way to test the choke thermostat controller, to see that its working correctly?

Last edited:

Leizurtime

Reaction score
(as of today, in very limited numbers from Chrysler)

When you say "available from Chrysler" what does that mean exactly? That I can go down to a dealer, give them the part # and purchase it? Or order from Mopar somewhere? My impression is, they don't sell anything this old.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a lot of things you can still get new from a Chrysler dealership, for our cars.
This part shows to be recently discontinued and there “appears” to still be stock remaining in the warehouse – for a limited time. For how much longer, I don’t know.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
This part shows to be recently discontinued and there “appears” to still be stock remaining in the warehouse

Is there a specific website you go to for this? I can't figure out the Mopar site, seems like it's all newer stuff.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
So I suppose I'd have to just call a local dealer, give them a part #, and see if they can get it.
Yes, unfortunately.

Generally, they can see if any other dealers have one in stock, as well.

Having the part number on hand - is ¾ths the battle.
BudW

Back