New diff cover installed

slant6billy

Reaction score
100_3274.jpg
About time I put this on. It was a straight up swap for a spent holley carb. It came with a new gasket and hardward bolts. However, the new bolts were a bit too long and bottomed out too soon, so I reused the original black bolts.

3 bottles of new gear oil and a quick blat up and down the road.

Damn good Saturday

100_3274.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
I got some raz'n on using 3 bottles. Don't know if it just me, but I fill till it runs from the hole. I also have the car pitched so the front of the diff pointed slightly downward. After wasting two 7 1/4s, one 8 1/4, one 8 3/4, I have been real over the top with differential and rear care. I have not destroyed any rear since be proactive to oiling and service. Believe me, I have been know to be abusive to drivetrain in my driving habits, so good maintenance is my only safety.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The black bolts look better than the chrome (I assume?) ones would. Gives a little contrast.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I just know my luck. That new hardware would have ended my day quicker than 1/4 mile. I hate breaking new stuff. I hit the cover with some tack rags and then some rattle can clear. Hope that slows any pitting or rust.

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
i got one thats not on blue yet ,it came with a thin paper gasket and i was told to throw it in the garbage as there junk and to get some sealer in a tube and use it ,apparently the odds of a leak are less ,,anyone heard of this ??

slant6billy

Reaction score
The gasket may be ok to use. If you spray it with hi- tack uniformly, it should hold. the diff is not holding a huge amount of pressure. Just make sure the housing surface is clean. The dude who pulled the ford 9 inch out to put this 8 1/4 in my Volare gooped it up with RTV and it leaked. I have a ripped white tee shirt under my diff the last 2 days and no leaky yet. Remember 35 ft pounds in a cross pattern tightening to get it to lay even.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Trick is to use the correct type of RTV, I recommend gray or better yet, Chrysler sells a specific RTV for diff covers that's more or less red in color. Make sure both surfaces are PERFECTLY clean. A good brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol will do. There can't be any trace of oil or the RTV won't adhere. Then, you only need about a 1/8"-3/16" bead. Snug the bolts, wait a few minutes and then torque them. If time allows, let it cure 12-24 hours before refilling. Although at work, we refill right away or soon after installing the cover. Never had any come back leaking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet.

Last edited:
Back