New to me FA: need your suggestions

MartyB

Reaction score
Hey, everyone!
I apologize for being so pokey getting back to y'all. I've just put down a deposit on an '84 FA with a 360/727 and Sure Grip. Will post pictures asap.

It's clean but I'm going to need some input. I figure on hitting up Daniel Stern for lighting suggestions.

I'm not fond of its current wheels (look more Dippy than FA). What do you think drips class? Saw Daytons. Kinda pricey, but look fine. Saw someone here had turbine Ford wheels. Did that work out well?

Also looking at maybe picking up a Grant steering wheel, maybe a classic wood, but not ruling out GT (though, again, seems to fit Dippys better).

Last question: Has anyone used CustomAutoTrim.com? This ride has no rocker or wheel well trim.
Thanks for your good input!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Hi Marty...
Someone should chime in this weekend.

My 87 FA is all original so I can't help you with much.
However, if you do keep the opera lights, using the flat led's works well although the light is more to the blue-ish tone rather than bright-white.

JW

Duke5A

Reaction score
Hey, everyone!
I apologize for being so pokey getting back to y'all. I've just put down a deposit on an '84 FA with a 360/727 and Sure Grip. Will post pictures asap.

It's clean but I'm going to need some input. I figure on hitting up Daniel Stern for lighting suggestions.

I'm not fond of its current wheels (look more Dippy than FA). What do you think drips class? Saw Daytons. Kinda pricey, but look fine. Saw someone here had turbine Ford wheels. Did that work out well?

Also looking at maybe picking up a Grant steering wheel, maybe a classic wood, but not ruling out GT (though, again, seems to fit Dippys better).

Last question: Has anyone used CustomAutoTrim.com? This ride has no rocker or wheel well trim.
Thanks for your good input!

I've had three sets of rims on my 5A over the years. Some cheap claw looking things, Cragar S/S and Torque Thrusts. Cragar rims are pretty timeless.

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_7780.JPG

Passengerside.jpg

MartyB

Reaction score
Almost fergot~What size aftermarket steering wheel works if you want to go a bit smaller without blocking gauges or looking silly?

Duke5A

Reaction score
Almost fergot~What size aftermarket steering wheel works if you want to go a bit smaller without blocking gauges or looking silly?

Dad has one of those Grant wheels in his Diplomat. This one I think:

377.jpg

Might be 14". Whatever it is it's smaller than the factory one was and looks nice.

Ele115

Reaction score
All I can tell you is that you can't go wrong with a Fifth Avenue. Drive it and enjoy it. I don't have one, but I'm working on that

Darth-Car

Reaction score
You have to measure that steering wheel. Some of them were insanely large. If you are larger than Twiggy you can not get in or out of the car without having the wheel raised all of the way up. I hope you have a tilt column. :) I want to say I think Darth Car's factory wheel was 16'', and I think I went to a Grant 14''. It works perfect. Everybody agrees it has the look of class the car needs, and makes it very easy to get in, and out of the command chair.
IMG_20181020_120159814_HDR.jpg
DSCN0080.JPG

Duke5A

Reaction score
I have the exact same interior in my car and wondered what that wheel would look like. Yup, ordering a steering a wheel tonight. I'll swap it over when I pull it all apart to fix the turn signal switch.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
... Not the exact same interior, you have your customer bucket seats with the center console. Now that was a trick of engineering. :)

Ele115

Reaction score
You can't buy a car with an interior like that now for any amount of money. Those are some of the best seats you could sit in

Darth-Car

Reaction score
It's just like driving your sofa down the street.

But wait there's more, you can buy a car just like this for a reasonable amount of money TODAY; as a matter of fact you can buy this very car! :)

FOR SALE - Darth Car Needs A New Home

...Shameless plug, I know, but he left the opening wide open for me. :)

Back