Next Mirada build.

Joe12459

Reaction score
So, my son was reading my thread about my next project, and he gently reminded me that his Mirada is next on the list. Seven years ago, I bought an 81 CMX, sight unseen, from an e-bay seller, who agreed to deliver the car to me. I was planning on using it as a parts car, as that's how it was advertised in the for sale ad. When the car arrived, my son, who was 8 at the time, walked around the car, examining every detail, and proclaimed, "Daddy, this is too nice to be a parts car, so it's going to be mine". He was right, other than some minor body rust, and general wear and tear, the car was in pretty good shape. Definitely restorable. I drove the car off the trailer and parked it off the side of my driveway, under a tree. My wife was unimpressed. I poured StaBil in the tank, then ran it dry. I put the car on cement blocks, and it sat there for the next 7 years, untouched, except for my occasionally removing a part here or there. I even cut down the tree without moving the car. So now, my son is approaching his 16th birthday, and he wants his car. Today I put a battery in it, rebuilt the carburetor and put a few gallons of gas in the tank, and took it off the blocks. The car started right up, and drove out of the space it was in. I guess he's getting his car! We plan on restoring it stock appearance, with a few minor upgrades. Nothing like the Hemi Mirada project, but something to keep me busy until I make a final decision on my next project. Hopefully I'll have plenty of photos shortly.

Joe12459

Reaction score
Here's a couple of before photos, taken after a morning of terrorizing the neighbors in the other two.
3front.jpg
threerears.jpg

3front.jpg

threerears.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's good, a father/son project! Brings back memories of me and my dad out in the garage 30-40 years ago. Nothing but Mopars of course. Mom always knew where to find us, lol! Now I always know where to find him (in his garage) and he knows where to find me (in my garage). Unfortunately, mom is with us in memory only though.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It was either in the garage with my dad or visiting an uncle (his brother) and being in the garage with him,,,,,or him and my dad. Grew up in a "car family".

Darth-Car

Reaction score
My youngest will be old enough to start the legacy this coming year. I look forward to the adventure with him.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You're giving me a chunk I never got.
Wrenching with dad. I think it was that he just never had an interest in working on them. My older brother and his best friend.....now my brother in law used to do all the wrenching and that's where I learned things.

But what my dad did teach me was a love for land yachts.
He was a Chevy guy for a long time and always bought used deals. From friends or whomever had a great deal.

This usually meant big mid 60's chev's and Buick's.
He let me drive them all. An 11 year old kid sailing a 65 Impala down a small highway.

When I see him again I'm buying that man a beer.

Back