Nice 80 Dip T Top-$6000CDN-Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Contact seller
Rare console too.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...nt/1110977461?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$_27bbcdfdip.jpg

$_27mnbvdip.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's a sharp car! I can't recall EVER seeing one like it, especially with T-tops not to mention buckets and console. To be honest, I can't remember seeing very many 2 door Diplomat's period around here back in the day.

efriedrich

Reaction score
That's a sweet ride but Canada, ugh. Can an American come up and buy a car and cross the border with no problems..

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
You shouldn't have a problem on the Canadian side, but getting it into the US might create a problem. US safetyand emissions laws do differ, so depending on how strict US customs is about stuff like that, it may or msy not create an issue. You should know that the Speedo and odo ate probably in Kilometers.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Easy to get a car across.
1980, no one cares except California.
Ontario says 15 yrs and no one cares.
Might have to change the speedometer depending on state, but the speedometer shows both.
Just get the paperwork to the border at least 24 hrs before the car crosses.

Canada is the one with the safety standards that the US doesn't have.
We had daytime driving lights long before the US confusing the US cops.
'Hey Deputy Dawg, want the lights turned off then shoot them out'.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
That's a sharp car! I can't recall EVER seeing one like it, especially with T-tops not to mention buckets and console. To be honest, I can't remember seeing very many 2 door Diplomat's period around here back in the day.

Then you never saw a 80 Caravelle S-Type T-Top
One of 2.

80type.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There are things we get in Canada that they didn't have in the US. As an example, from 1981-1983, we got the 318-4BBL in the J body, which didn't exist in the US outside of California. I don't know what would happen if that got into certain US states that are very tight with the emissions inspections could go along the lines of "this doesn't fit into any category, according to my books, 318-4BBLs don't exist, I don't know if I can pass this". That sort of idea. US got the requirement for 5 mph bumpers a couple of years before we did, and had air bags become mandatory before we did. not that any of this would make a difference to our cars, but depending on they type of day that the customs guy is having, could end up creating a hassle.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
There are things we get in Canada that they didn't have in the US. As an example, from 1981-1983, we got the 318-4BBL in the J body, which didn't exist in the US outside of California. I don't know what would happen if that got into certain US states that are very tight with the emissions inspections could go along the lines of "this doesn't fit into any category, according to my books, 318-4BBLs don't exist, I don't know if I can pass this". That sort of idea. US got the requirement for 5 mph bumpers a couple of years before we did, and had air bags become mandatory before we did. not that any of this would make a difference to our cars, but depending on they type of day that the customs guy is having, could end up creating a hassle.

Make it sound like no one 'ever' brought a car across the border, or a 4 bbl car never made it out of California.
4bbls where also used in high altitude locations such as Colorado.
Doesn't 50% of the people toss 4 bbls on anyways?

marko

Reaction score
it is simple to import cars between Canada and the US...........
im about to list my 77 T&C wagon on ebay and i expect it to sell to the states.
i will even deliver it to seattle for expenses.
basically it gets the paperwork stamped when it enters the country, and then when it gets registered/titled in whatever state it winds up in is where any applicable tax gets paid by the new owner......

20151022_152618-1.jpg

20151022_152618-1.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
it is simple to import cars between Canada and the US...........
im about to list my 77 T&C wagon on ebay and i expect it to sell to the states.
i will even deliver it to seattle for expenses.
basically it gets the paperwork stamped when it enters the country, and then when it gets registered/titled in whatever state it winds up in is where any applicable tax gets paid by the new owner......

View attachment 11997

That thing is incredible.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Not a question if it is possilbe, it is a question of how uptight the Border guys and the guys doing state emissions testing are. Most cars were made in the US to start with, and even though the cars may run cleaner than they ever did when they were being used by the general public way back in the day, you never know with bureaucrats. Just pointing out possible pain points to be aware of. On some of the other posts regarding emissions testing, the testers do a sniff test, which this car should pass after a little bit of attention to maintenance items. Other states are reported to get uptight about having all of the emissions equipment, as delivered from the factory. In those states, they will have a reference book with what emissions equipment to look for. Guess where the 318-4BBl will be in Pennsylvania, or otherstates that go with that method (outside of California and the high altitude states) books? I'm not saying that there Will be a problem, I'm saying it MAY be a problem. I also don't know what state efriedrich lives in, or what his state emissions testing is like, I just think it would be a good idea for him to check that out before making a decision.

In the US, cars have a title in many/most states. In Canada, they don't. We have already had one member get hassled because he couldn't produce a title from the previous owner. Will this be a problem for a car brought in from Canada? I don't know; I would think that the US Customs guys would straighten that out, but again, I don't know for sure. Something else to be considered before bringing in a car from Canada.

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
You get titles in Canada.
I have no clue what you are talking about that there are no titles in Canada.
You can't even junk a car w/o a title here.
You even get a 'buyers package' from the Ontario government listing all the previous owners like a carfax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back