1. WANT TO BE FEATURED IN OUR 2019 CALENDAR???
    For details, click here: Be Part of our 2019 Mopar Calendar
    Dismiss Notice

No wire wheelcovers.

M Body General Discussion

1. 5th avenue Rob

5th avenue Rob Active Member

Just replaced my bulky 5th ave wire wheelcovers with some 57 plymouth caps. Not sure if I like them or not. The wire hubcaps are up for grabs. Looking for police dog dish caps.

20180703_201436.jpg

20180703_202848.jpg

JLN5thAve and MoparDan like this.
  2. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

I think any 15” rear wheel drive Chrysler product hub caps will fit and work, including the dog dish versions.

Your caps look to be in good shape. I wouldn’t mind getting spares – but not really wanting to pay freight to get them to Oklahoma City, though.

There might be some interest on eBay – but I wouldn’t expect getting a lot out of them (maybe enough to eat out one night).

Also, you can place an ad for them in our For Sale section.
    BudW

3. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

For reference, there's a set of the 5th Ave wire covers on the local CL and they are asking $50.

Also on the not really local but 150 miles to the south east CL are these:
    Mopar dog dish hub caps

4. JLN5thAve

JLN5thAve Well-Known Member

Nice looking caps - mine came up stolen years ago - and I need some for my restoration. I see them on eBay for $70+ a piece.. Not very economical. I am amazed I cant find any local - New Mexico used to have a ton of that stuff everywhere.

5. MoparDan

MoparDan Well-Known Member

I can't believe how expensive they've gotten, a few years ago I only got $12. for my '82 Fifth Ave's and they looked brand new (I hate wire wheel covers personally) those '57 Plymouth caps look great

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 7:51 PM
  6. BudW

I wouldn’t spend $70 for four very nice wire hub caps.

Wheels and hub caps – everyone has an opinion (and that one is mine).

Thirty years ago, it was the thing, and in which they were stolen often (part of why they have the anti-theft bolts on them). Now, they are a pain to work with and hard to keep clean.

They were far from my favorite (way way down on the list) – but after looking at options and my goal for my Fifth Ave, I may stick with them.
    The 10-spoke or the 5 on 5-spoke wheels are my favorite, for M-body’s – but they only come in 15x7’s.

For big block usage, I will need a wider than 7” wheels – so hadn’t decided to get the factory aluminum wheels and go with max width tire for the wheel, or get some custom-made police wheels and re-use the wire hub caps – for the stock (sleeper) look.
    If I can find some 10s or 5 on 5’s, I might even have a pair of tire combos, depending on if showing car, or not.

In my opinion, a car with 15” locking wire hub caps, equals the ultimate sleeper when going by outside looks.
    BudW

7. 5th avenue Rob

The caps are free to anyone who needs them. Just cant afford to ship and dont have much time. I am in Mesa AZ. They are in nice shape. But no locks.

8. JLN5thAve

What is the cost of shipping them from Mesa to Los Lunas NM? I do not remember how much they weigh, but I know they arent really the lightest ever made.

9. BudW

Maybe I shouldn’t answer this sense I do not have an accurate answer. Once packaged – I would guess between 25 to 30 pounds, if the caps and gold part that attaches to wheels are included - for all 12 items (plus screws, if available).

JLN5thAve likes this.
  10. JLN5thAve

Thanks Bud - looking at the shipping options - I don’t know if the USPS flat rate for $19 would work.. it’s a fairly large box however those hubs are rather bulky.

11. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

Semi off topic but,,,,,,,,,,,,many many years ago, a buddy of mine had a '73 Imperial. Those wheel covers were 15 lbs, EACH. :eek:

JLN5thAve likes this.
  12. Poly

Poly Active Member

Ya gotta go with wide whites.

wwww3.jpg

wwww.jpg

wwww2.jpg

13. kkritsilas

kkritsilas Well-Known Member

Wide whites look great on those cars. Don't know if they would look good on an M body sedan. Best looking wheels on an M, in my opinion are the alloy Chrysler snowflakes.

14. Poly

Poly Active Member

For anyone seeking to preserve the original factory look these wire wheel covers would be a terrific find in that condition. Chrysler Corp. used a wider whitewall. Not w i d e like the photos earlier.

5th.jpg

2 5th.jpg

15. 5th avenue Rob

If you can send a flat rate box I will drop in in the mail. All four caps come in at just under 20lbs the box needs to be at least 17 x 11" to fit all four wheel covers.