No wire wheelcovers.

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
Just replaced my bulky 5th ave wire wheelcovers with some 57 plymouth caps. Not sure if I like them or not. The wire hubcaps are up for grabs. Looking for police dog dish caps.

20180703_201436.jpg

20180703_202848.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I think any 15” rear wheel drive Chrysler product hub caps will fit and work, including the dog dish versions.

Your caps look to be in good shape. I wouldn’t mind getting spares – but not really wanting to pay freight to get them to Oklahoma City, though.

There might be some interest on eBay – but I wouldn’t expect getting a lot out of them (maybe enough to eat out one night).

Also, you can place an ad for them in our For Sale section.
BudW

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
Nice looking caps - mine came up stolen years ago - and I need some for my restoration. I see them on eBay for $70+ a piece.. Not very economical. I am amazed I cant find any local - New Mexico used to have a ton of that stuff everywhere.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I can't believe how expensive they've gotten, a few years ago I only got $12. for my '82 Fifth Ave's and they looked brand new (I hate wire wheel covers personally) those '57 Plymouth caps look great

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t spend $70 for four very nice wire hub caps.

Wheels and hub caps – everyone has an opinion (and that one is mine).

Thirty years ago, it was the thing, and in which they were stolen often (part of why they have the anti-theft bolts on them). Now, they are a pain to work with and hard to keep clean.

They were far from my favorite (way way down on the list) – but after looking at options and my goal for my Fifth Ave, I may stick with them.
The 10-spoke or the 5 on 5-spoke wheels are my favorite, for M-body’s – but they only come in 15x7’s.

For big block usage, I will need a wider than 7” wheels – so hadn’t decided to get the factory aluminum wheels and go with max width tire for the wheel, or get some custom-made police wheels and re-use the wire hub caps – for the stock (sleeper) look.
If I can find some 10s or 5 on 5’s, I might even have a pair of tire combos, depending on if showing car, or not.

In my opinion, a car with 15” locking wire hub caps, equals the ultimate sleeper when going by outside looks.
BudW

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
The caps are free to anyone who needs them. Just cant afford to ship and dont have much time. I am in Mesa AZ. They are in nice shape. But no locks.

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
What is the cost of shipping them from Mesa to Los Lunas NM? I do not remember how much they weigh, but I know they arent really the lightest ever made.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I shouldn’t answer this sense I do not have an accurate answer. Once packaged – I would guess between 25 to 30 pounds, if the caps and gold part that attaches to wheels are included - for all 12 items (plus screws, if available).

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
Maybe I shouldn’t answer this sense I do not have an accurate answer. Once packaged – I would guess between 25 to 30 pounds, if the caps and gold part that attaches to wheels are included - for all 12 items (plus screws, if available).

Thanks Bud - looking at the shipping options - I don’t know if the USPS flat rate for $19 would work.. it’s a fairly large box however those hubs are rather bulky.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Semi off topic but,,,,,,,,,,,,many many years ago, a buddy of mine had a '73 Imperial. Those wheel covers were 15 lbs, EACH. :eek:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Wide whites look great on those cars. Don't know if they would look good on an M body sedan. Best looking wheels on an M, in my opinion are the alloy Chrysler snowflakes.

Poly

Reaction score
For anyone seeking to preserve the original factory look these wire wheel covers would be a terrific find in that condition. Chrysler Corp. used a wider whitewall. Not w i d e like the photos earlier.

5th.jpg

2 5th.jpg

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
If you can send a flat rate box I will drop in in the mail. All four caps come in at just under 20lbs the box needs to be at least 17 x 11" to fit all four wheel covers.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
They “might” fit inside of a 16” by 16” box, just not sure how tall. A 17x17 box would be better.

Not considering the caps, I might be tempted to invert every other cap, so they don’t get damaged. Red = cardboard.
Wire cap shipment.png

The problem with this is what to do with the caps, domes and screws?
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I love that turquoise Chrysler (1960?) in the photo a couple posts back. Those, and the same year DeSoto's are the best looking cars built by anyone,,,,,,,ever.

The wire wheels and wide whites look PERFECT on that car.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Bud if you wanted, theres several shops that will cut the centers out of stock steel's like Farm Truck on street outlaws and install them in wide hoops. They'd have a funky offset or a long bolt if you wanted to use the wire caps and/or tub the 5th. My 10 spokes are in my living room and Im constantly wondering and fantasizing about having the centers cut out and put in 10"x 17"-18" hoops. I never will, but the thoughts there. I think any of the Chrysler alloys look perfect on any of the mid 70s-80s (and others) Mopars.
"Like they were made for them cars".

Back