Not an F,M, J or even close but...

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
So this is my new project. It doesn't really fit this site but I am sure there are some fellas on here that have experience with these that can give me some guidance.

Never had one before, always wanted one so we shall see how this goes.

Tub and frame are solid, it has a couple of golf ball size holes under the taillights. the inside has been cleaned and rhino lined.

It is an AMC 360, 4 speed with a dana 300 t-case and a twin stick conversion. Has new lift springs and 35's. The 360 is rattling and has low oil pressure so I am unsure if I will put another AMC 360 in it or swap to a mopar smallblock:)

I got it for 3k it has a milemarker winch and a high lift jack.
jeep.jpg

jeep.jpg

83Imp

Reaction score
AMC low oil pressure is AT FIRST a worn oil pump housing cover. Gravity holds the gears against the cover, and several 10's of thousands of miles later, your clearances become excessive and pressure drops. Oil pump kits are dirt cheap and you can change them out in about 20 minutes in your driveway. Do this first before even looking for another motor.

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
AMC low oil pressure is AT FIRST a worn oil pump housing cover. Gravity holds the gears against the cover, and several 10's of thousands of miles later, your clearances become excessive and pressure drops. Oil pump kits are dirt cheap and you can change them out in about 20 minutes in your driveway. Do this first before even looking for another motor.

I will look at that. The fella I got it from rebuilt the pump but said something about the housing being worn and that he felt was the issue. EVERYONE is telling me oil pump, but the problem is I don't know how long he ran the damn thing this way.

Thanks!
Kenny

83Imp

Reaction score
... something about the housing being worn and that he felt was the issue.

Most likely the cover plate is what's worn. If I remember correctly, the cover is flat on the gear side. You can trace out and cut a shim to make a flat surface again. I think some kits even come with a replacement cover.

Unfortunately low oil pressure will starve the front bearings. The good news is, at least on my old Wagoneer, was that the oil pan is easily accessible, and I once changed out the rod bearings on it in an hour or so one afternoon.....still less work and cheaper than an engine swap if you don't have to. Now if the rod bearings have ruined the crank.... well.... Good Luck with it.

Last edited:

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
Well I found a 74 2 door Cherokee with a good running 360, it has the GM turbo 400 and a quadratrac for $1000. The think is in pretty good shape so I hate to part it out but I need that 360 lol.

-Kenny

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I'm going to be showing some ignorance here, but here goes anyway. The AMC 360 and the Chrysler 360 are completely different, aren't they? Or did AMC end up sourcing 360s from Chrysler? I am also a bit puzzled about the TH400, that shouldn't mate up to either 360 unless there were some sort of adaptor plate installed. From what I remember, the AMC Torque Command was a TorqueFlite with a different bolt pattern on the bellhousing.

Kostas

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
I'm going to be showing some ignorance here, but here goes anyway. The AMC 360 and the Chrysler 360 are completely different, aren't they? Or did AMC end up sourcing 360s from Chrysler? I am also a bit puzzled about the TH400, that shouldn't mate up to either 360 unless there were some sort of adaptor plate installed. From what I remember, the AMC Torque Command was a TorqueFlite with a different bolt pattern on the bellhousing.

Kostas

The AMC 360 and Chrysler 360 are indeed TOTALLY different engines. the only similarity is the fact that they are both 360 CI lol.

I dunno how they did it but many many jeeps had GM turbo 400's it appears. I would say it is an adapter plate but i dunno yet. I researched all this crap the other day, I am pretty new to this jeep thing.

-Kenny

BHA43

Reaction score
The jeep 400's were cast with the AMC bell. Seen a bunch busted back in the day as the frt. drive shaft came loose & smashed them!

Back