Not sure where to post this..

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
I am working on my car - but I came across this picture..
9B029E43-BDD4-4550-B3FF-49C387572D44.jpeg
I have no idea what sort of car this is - as my Pop has this long before I was even a twinkle.. My mother says it is a Chrysler - which makes sense because that’s all my pop ever drove..

I know - at least I THINK I know it is not an M-Body - so if this could be moved to the appropriate category I would appreciate it.

Anyone know what this car is? I think it is something I’d love to find one of for myself after I get my car running again.

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
Thank you MoparDan - did a search and that’s it.. I like that car - however I would imagine buying one would be impossible. That’s a J body correct?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Imperials before ’74, had a different body type, Y-Body (I think). Some things from Imperial fit the C-body’s – but not much did.
They also had 5x5” bolt pattern wheels whereas the BCEFMJ, etc. body’s used 5x4.5” wheels.

Those cars were tanks. Peel away the fender skirts and the chrome trim and you would find a M1 Abrams hidden underneath (less the guns). Even the grills were made from cast iron (or some other kind of heavy iron-based material).
Woe is anyone in an import who had and accident with one. the owner of Imperial might not even know if was in an accident, thereby not stopping and the other car looks like it was used for artillery target practice, several times over, at Fort Sill (OK).

I think that car ranges from ’68 to ’72, maybe – but is an Imperial.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
They weren't big just to be big. Sure!
Nice looking automobile!

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
I think I have found my official dream car - I have been looking up the 69, and boy that was a snappy looking car. Huge, ya - but I am amazed by it. I still love my Fifth Avenue - but that Imperial is SHARP.

I do wonder though if I would be able to track down the same car in that picture - probably be impossible to find.

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
69-72 were the years for the "fuselage" styling. Imperial, Chrysler Newport, 300, New Yorker, all of the C-bodies shared the same styling with different options and trim levels proportional to price.

I had a 69 300 hardtop w a 440/auto. Some came w LA engines which I didn't know until I went to buy a 4-dr parts car (70 New Yorker)... it had nothing usable for me.

These cars are every bit of 20' long. I had to measure my garage VERY carefully to make sure it fit. Even bumping the back wall, the door had to be raised to walk around the back side. From the trailing edge of the door to the back bumper was over 6' long. Mine was oddly equipped w no vinyl top and manual windows/locks... kind of a stripper for a Chrysler.
I had to sell that big, beautiful boat when I moved to OR from AZ. The guy that bought it wanted the drivetrain for his Charger build. Very sad to think of that rust-free hardtop rotting away in field somewhere in PA, but thats a fate most of these cars were destined for.

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
69-72 were the years for the "fuselage" styling. Imperial, Chrysler Newport, 300, New Yorker, all of the C-bodies shared the same styling with different options and trim levels proportional to price.

I had a 69 300 hardtop w a 440/auto. Some came w LA engines which I didn't know until I went to buy a 4-dr parts car (70 New Yorker)... it had nothing usable for me.

These cars are every bit of 20' long. I had to measure my garage VERY carefully to make sure it fit. Even bumping the back wall, the door had to be raised to walk around the back side. From the trailing edge of the door to the back bumper was over 6' long. Mine was oddly equipped w no vinyl top and manual windows/locks... kind of a stripper for a Chrysler.
I had to sell that big, beautiful boat when I moved to OR from AZ. The guy that bought it wanted the drivetrain for his Charger build. Very sad to think of that rust-free hardtop rotting away in field somewhere in PA.

Ouch... I have the same feeling about a 73 Buick Regal I had that ended up being sold. Moved out of my parents house 13 years ago, and eventually had to pick which car I kept... Kept my 88 Chrysler and lost the Buick.

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
Similar situation here. I was moving over 1000 miles and could only drag ONE vehicle w me. The 300, my 64 D200 crewcab Uteline (stepside), and a neat little sleeper 74 Olds Omega (Nova) had to go so I could bring my Ramcharger. The R/C succumbed to a stupid owner (that would be me) who didn’t think to change the desert-approved distilled water for actual antifreeze before the first eastern OR winter showed up... oops. That little 318 dropped freeze plugs like a leper on a treadmill and my first Cordoba entered the picture as an engine donor.

The pictured Imperials (the ads and your dad's) are incredible machines. I'd LOVE to have another fuselage C-body, but most are gone or trashed. The remaining ones are expensive, especially the 70 300Hurst, Mopar's only collaboration with Hurst as far as I know.
muscle-cars-you-should-know-1970-chrysler-300-hurst-edition-0004-640x279.jpg

440 TNT and the same interior upgrades as your dad's Imp.

My secret lust is for a 62 300 w a cross-ram 392... so bad it gives me the willies.

Last edited:

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
I owned my 300 for several years before Chrysler released the LH-platform fwd 300M, and then later the RWD LX 300... nobody knew what a Chrysler 300 was. At the parts store I'd get the usual,
"Make?".
"Chrysler"
"Model?"
"300"
"No not the engine size..."
It got tedious.

4speedjim

Reaction score
The Imp's where a special product. There is some very good Imperial articles highlighting what was exclusive to Imperials. Like they had there own assembly line with heavier gauge sheet metal, 5 on 5 wheels and other exclusive features. I think all that came to an end around the late 60s early - '70s when they combined assembly lines and shared parts with the Chrysler C body cousins. Well worth the effort to look them up if you are interested in Imperials.

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
The Imp's where a special product.
Correct-a-mundo... they were their own product line (like DeSoto), not just a Chrysler option package. Badge-engineering is a damnable practice (Cadillac Cimarron, uuuggh), but when companies are struggling on the brink of collapse something has to give.
These days, Mopar loses money on every single Challenger they sell... it's a halo car that helps sell the millions of "lesser" cars that pay the bills... known as economy of scale. Not a big problem if you're moving enough units to make up the difference. In those days (late 60s and newer) they couldn't do it any more for a variety of reasons so something had to go. Imperial went away. Later Plymouth went away. GM killed off Oldsmobile and then later, startup Saturn.
Meanwhile Honda, Nissan, and Toyota were spinning-off Acura, Infinity, and Lexus as high-buck, zooted-up versions of their appliances. More recently Hyundai bought Kia and spun-off Genesis as thier halo brand (damn nice-looking cars, btw*). Instead of struggling to stay afloat, the Asians put a bead on BMW, Audi, and Mercedes (they pretty much consider American brands as non-issues) and are in the process of beating them at a niche they INVENTED!
I may be drifting into geo-economics here so I'll stop.

*Not bad for an upstart S Korean sh*tbox manufacturer. These guys have made amazing progress since they hit US shores in the 80s.
images-4.jpg

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I happen to own a ’70 Chrysler 300/Hurst – but currently it looks no where as good as the one in your photo (yet).

Chrysler and Hurst did several projects together – but only one with the Hurst colors and name.
My understanding was the cars came from Chrysler assembly plant incomplete, Hurst painted the cars, modified the hood and trunk areas, then sent car back to Chrysler to add the finishing touches.

The hood and trunk lid are mostly fiberglass, it has a fiberglass spoiler/wing (hard to see, but it is there). No trunk lock cylinder (which is unusual for a car made in 1970). They only way to get into trunk is via button in glove box or a handle by the seat.
The trunk is big enough to stack adults either width-wise or length-wise and pilled a few bodies deep (if a person was into that kind of thing).

My 300 has a center console – which is the same that ’66-70 B-body’s use, except for a cushion on console lid and a cigar lighter made into the rear chrome piece (for rear seat occupants).

My car also has automatic A/C (not the semi-automatic A/C that a lot of M and J-bodies have). It also has a second foot petal button on floor, close to the high beam switch, to change radio stations (which can be confusing when changing beams and you press on wrong button).

It is rumored that Hurst modified the A727 in the car – but that hasn’t been confirmed, yet.
The odd thing is it uses a 100% Chrysler floor shifter system.
My 300 does jump sideways about a foot on the 1-2 shift and leaves about a foot-long scratch on road, on the 2-3 shift – so not sure if out of place for a stock U-code 440 TNT / A727 w/3.23’s, or not.

I also heard this project failed. Hurst was thinking that Chrysler was going to promote the cars and Chrysler thought Hurst was going to promote the cars. Neither company did, and thereby not many knew about the cars were even made.

Hurst is the one Chrysler used to modify the ’68 Dart and Barracuda’s and turn both into Hemi racers, which was the only other “known” performance project.
Hurst was also used with a few taxi programs (lowering the floorboards on cars) and other minor projects.

Note: the black 3-piece grill (has electric headlight doors) is made from metal, and I think it is cast iron, maybe. I do know it is heavy.

Other than the powertrain, not many other parts interchange between the C-body and Y-body cars.
BudW

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
I would imagine that any of these cars from these lines would be difficult to find - unless you pay $20,000 or more in the auto-trader. It would be great to run across one of these rare breeds in a barn. There was a abandoned lot in my neighborhood years ago that had two Plymouth Satellite's on it.. I was about 10 at that time, so that is all I remember.

I found this real cool site - although taking a loan out to get one of these beauties is an impossible option. I would imagine someone else has seen these. Just thought I would share -

Last edited:
Back