Oil Filter Housing

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Been looking online for awhile cant seem to find any information anywhere not sure if I am wording what I am looking for correctly or not so asking here. Today I noticed that I am losing about 2 quarts when driving in town glad the oil sending unit is working are I would of not known that I was losing so much oil jamming to the tune's and so on not paying attention. Added 2 more quarts and headed back home asap. Jacked the front end up and could see over spray or blow by of oil but no leak. I then started the car after setting the emergency brake and observed a nice stream of oil leaking as though it was a river. Cleaned the area off and it appears that the housing that the oil filter screws onto is leaking up top almost impossible to see it really but you can stick your finger between the oil filter and the engine block and it is very obvious. Where can I find a new gasket? Looks like the housing comes off pretty easy just seen a few bolts and of course the small metal plate. Just in case if the housing adapter is bad are there still ones available stock? Thank You

Last edited:

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
oil filter on the six attaches to the pump. the plate is the impeller cover.
cover gasket/o ring can be changed pretty easily but the pump to block gasket is a real pita.
you'll have to jack up the engine on the pump side to get clearance to remove it.
Been there, done that, cussed a bunch.:D
Somehow I broke off a cover plate bolt (dont ask) and had to remove the pump to easy-out the broken piece.
Took me quite awhile to figure out the engine had to rise up some for clearance to remove it.
I couldnt find the gaskets locally so I ordered a few of each from summit.

100_2536.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A common problem with most cars out there, is the square-cut O-ring (some people call a gasket) that is somewhat attached to the oil filter, will sometimes stay behind from a previous oil change (someone didn’t make sure the seal had a coating of engine oil on O-ring before install – then didn’t check that old O-ring stayed behind during oil filter change.

What happens is you double up on square-cut O-rings. Engine oil pressure then pushes the “left behind” O-ring outwards (which has nothing to support it), causing a major oil leak.

This is generally discovered shortly after an oil change.

There are not many things that will cause a major oil leak.
The items that can cause a major oil leak are:
- The double oil filter gasket/O-ring,
- a broken oil pressure switch/sending unit,
- a left-loose/fell-off oil drain plug,
- bullet hole(s) or similar damage OR
- something major broke inside of engine.

All of the other items will cause irritating, but minor, oil leaks (ie: not a river of oil or a sizeable puddle when parked).
BudW

TIP:
I like to add some engine oil into the oil filter before install, to saturate the paper. At same time, I add a bit to area by the square-cut O-ring, so I can use my finger to get that O-ring nice and oily. I generally don’t fill the oil filter – because that can (and usually does with me) become messy.
My thought is some oil in oil filter is better than a completely dry oil filter, when you are starting the engine. There is a moment (20-30 seconds?) that there is ZERO oil where you need it, while the oil pickup has to be refilled, oil filter has to be refilled and so on, before oil actually gets where it is needed (the bearings) – and I don’t like that.

Most people say that doesn’t hurt anything – and they may be 100% correct, but I still don’t like it.

Small blocks (with the 90’ angle adaptor, or not), you can’t fill filter but half way, anyway. On /6, you can’t fill filter at all (upside down).
If you ever work on a car that filter goes straight up, try to fill a filter about ½ way with engine oil. A few moments later, the oil has pretty much all been absorbed by the filter material.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Took my time did not half to lift the engine at all. Replaced with new gasket oil filter and oil. Drove maybe 2 hours gauge didn't come on. Got home got under the car no leaks we our rolling again. One of these days I plan on rebuilding the engine but till she dies I wont. Could be awhile or who knows may out live me those slants back in the day were some tuff engines and still are if you ask me. Thank You

Back