Old Yellows close call

old yellow 78

Reaction score
It was such a nice day today that when I got home from work, I decided to take OY on a 30 mile round trip to the house I've been working on. The route takes me through a state park, and I was cruising along at about 40 MPH when suddenly a deer comes trotting out from the brush on the right side, right in front of me. I braked hard and turned left, tires screeching because the rear wheels locked up. The rear end started to come around to the right, so I turned right and then the rear started to slide left. I almost lost it completely and almost slammed it into the guard rail! It felt like it could easily have rolled over! Scared the crap out of me! I don't know what happened to the deer, but luckily I didn't hit it. I was REALLY lucky that I didn't completely lose control, I know I very nearly did. It made me realize several things: 1. OY's power brakes are WAY too "power", and I am so used to anti-lock brakes. 2. I am not at all used to OY's newly installed, but ancient power steering which is REALLY touchy, but I am used to the variable assist of modern cars. I'm sure that I oversteered trying to correct the slides due to it being so touchy. 3. It's perhaps interesting to be able to say "it still has the original shocks on it", but even though they only have 30K miles on them, they are still 39 years old and have the body roll resistance of a marshmallow. They will be replaced VERY soon now. 4. If I would have had to hit the guard rail, it likely would have been the end of OY. Strange how the mind works, but I was thinking just that even as I was trying to get it back under control. When I got to the house, I decided to just leave OY there and drive my truck back home with it's airbags, antilocks, and tangible power steering - it rattled me that much. I didn't want to take the chance of driving OY back at dusk with Bambi's lurking behind every tree, plus I don't care as much about the truck. Whew! Lucky day.

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
As the fall season comes, I no longer drive the Lebaron down the scenic routes during twilight and evening.

Since the most 'modern' car I've ever owned is a 89 M, I know nothing about real world ABS and drive accordingly.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The brakes on my wagon can toss you out of the seat.

Front/rear stabilizer/sway bars will help – but you have to change both front and rear for car to “feel” right (twice the $ and time).

There is an article in an old Mopar Action talking about a somewhat easy to install ABS system for our cars. I plan on doing it myself, when I change/upgrade differentials. Basically, it is installing a RABS (Rear Wheel ABS) from a ‘90’s pickup/van/Dakota. If I can find the article, I will post it (need to find it again, anyway).

I’m glad you didn’t recolor your existing seats, unintentionally (or worse). Even though my wagon can toss you through the windshield, car doesn’t stop like my pickup or wife’s minivan does – so just have to keep that in mind when driving our vehicles.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My wagon has limited slip in it (not that it matters when braking). I can lay on the brakes a bit harder than usual and it will lock up brakes on my wagon, all 4 wheels.
When driving by myself, I will intentionally lock ‘em up when someone pulls out in front of me or performing other stupid driver maneuvers - just to get their attention via noise from my protesting tires.

It is a lot easier to lock up the tires on the wagon than it is my 5th - which might be because of tires.
The 5th has 215/75R15’s. The wagon is using 195/75R14’s – so a whole 20 mm per tire, less tread.
Also the tires on wagon are el cheapo’s, whereas the 5th’s tires are much better tires.
BudW

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I run Pro Lock brakes with a WobbleMaster pro sway bar and Italian Daygo tires.
Daygo through snow, sand and water, but when Daygo flat, Daygo 'Wop, Wop, Wop'

Aspen500

Reaction score
Had almost the exact same experience on the way to work this morning, about 7am. Coming into the Mosinee area (where I work) on a county highway at 55 mph, I see a deer by the side of the road, foot of the gas, start slowing down and,,,,,,,,,,,,sure enough, the stupid thing runs across the road right in front of me. On the brakes, a bit too hard, and rears lock up and it starts to go sideways. Check for heart beat, and continue on. This was with my 2008 Mustang which doesn't have ABS but does have REALLY good brakes. The thought if I had been in the Aspen with manual disc/drum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,something I don't want to imagine. I mean, it's fully insured no matter what happens but still...........

old yellow 78

Reaction score
The thought if I had been in the Aspen with manual disc/drum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,something I don't want to imagine. I mean, it's fully insured no matter what happens but still...........
Yep, it was/is definitely an eye opener. I'm going to bring OY back home this weekend, but not at dusk at this time of year. I was thinking after reading some of the comments above:
When driving by myself, I will intentionally lock ‘em up when someone pulls out in front of me or performing other stupid driver maneuvers
that it might actually be a good idea to do some practice emergency maneuvers in OY on a safe back road (after I get new shocks on all four corners). The steering and brakes are so different from my daily driver Mazda that I was completely unprepared to deal with this sudden emergency maneuver. Maybe getting more used to rapid steering changes and the brake lock up issue would be a good experience. Strange that it feels so weird now because I never noticed it when I drove my many other F bodies so many years ago. OY is also well insured, but I would have been REALLY upset if I would have crashed it. To me it is a very special and rare car.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Yeah, I drive a Honda daily through week. It is totally devoid of any "feel" of the road. Deceptive and fake. My volare has that real contact and reaction that truely keeps hands, feet and driver engaged in the activity.......... like riding a 2 stroke dirt bike engaged. If you let it, it will get away from you.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I managed to 'love tap' a 250 pound feral hog on the way home while in the suburban.
Once I got pulled over to the side, I got out to check the front and I have yet another wonky bend in the front bumper and the dang pig was getting up and shaking his head-- just looked at me and started walking away.
Least he could have done was die on the road.

Night before last, I hit an armadillo and spent part of the day cleaning guts off the same right front wheel well. I'm thinking there is a conspiracy going on here.

I think I just don't bother braking as much anymore cause the suburban sits so high and there is rarely any traffic from the other direction. I usually just move over to the oncoming traffic lane and then duck back into my lane. Rural living has a few perks.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with running over an animal on the road is you rarely kill it – for it seems the 250 (or 1000) pound animal is stronger than your vehicle is - and runs away shortly afterwards.

Also – if you did kill it – have you tried to pick up a 250 pound animal and toss it into your trunk (or truck bed) before?
It is not an easy task.

I’ve been fortunate and not hit anything bigger than a raccoon or armadillo on the road before.
BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hitting even relatively small animals can really do some damage to the car. Even hitting a deer on the highway can destroy the front end of a car, and hitting a moose will not only damage or destroy a car, most of the time, because they are so tall, the body of the moose rolls over the hood, and destroys the windshield and kills all the people in the car.

In Alberta, if you hit an animal on the road, you are not allowed to pick it up; doing so, if they find out, is a multiple thousand dollar fine.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of animals, like dear, moose, etc. where the body mass is close to top of front of vehicle – has a high tendency for the animal to go through the windshield (if not kill the front seat occupants).

I'd agree, hitting any animal – is not good on cars.

Question: in Alberta, does that law also apply during hunting season (for that particular animal), if you have the appropriate tax/stamps/permits (or whatever applies there)? (or get the permit/stamp/tax shortly afterwards)?

If I kill a deer (or whatever) and it causes damage to my car, I’m going to literally going to make it pay with its hide (via dinner).
I say that - but not been there (yet) to know what I'd do
BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
In Alberta, you cannot kill anything on the road and take it with you, no matter what time of the year, no matter what size or species. Just like we have hunting laws that do not permit you to run over the animals you are hunting during hunting season (even if you have a permit). I think the laws are specifically written to prevent people from running over animals near the side of the road intentionally for the purpose of taking the carcasses home. Its a multiple thousand dollar fine if caught/reported doing so and found to have done it.

It is a permit system here for hunting, license for fishing.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I'd agree, hitting any animal – is not good on cars.
It's not very good for the animals either. I try to be very careful particularly on the back roads and two lanes at dusk and at night, but occasionally it happens. I have hit a two deer and a few smaller animals, and always feel terrible about it. The deer weren't killed unfortunately, and had to be put down. One was hit with my old van which was badly damaged and one with my Mazda 3, which only needed a new bumper. Meh, that's why I have insurance, but still, I feel bad for the animals, being crowded out as more and more development takes place in this area. I'm always amazed at some of the vehicles and motorcycles that go flying down these roads without a thought of what would happen if a deer or something would jump out.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Ive been very fortunate when it comes to animals and car strikes. 30 years of driving, 20 at 80-100k per year. Worst case was a deer darted nearly in front of my Gr caravan at the time. It took out the left fender and headlight tabs, dented and wrinkled both doors as its momentum kept driving its mass into the van. Only thing I saw was the head, (doe) tongue stuck out as it bounced off the windshield. My youngest said Dad! you didnt even flinch! truth be told, I never saw a thing. Next morning I Found a used, right colored fender and headlight, good to go.
Ex MIL and current DIL each have years with 3 major deer strikes btwn Oct and Feb. I dont know how they insure themselves. I've had my share of fox, coon, opossum, cats, squirrel, deer, porcupine and one dog. But never cost myself $200.
I quit slamming brakes and swerving to avoid critters a long time ago. Eventually word gets around. This guy is CRAZY!! He dont swerve or brake for anything! Stay way off the road! A long, looong way off the road!
So many stories of ditched, railed and poled cars attempting to avoid animals. Around here, Friday and Saturday nights the deer set up chess boards and poker tables on the curves and hills of unlit Highways. They cause half dozen folks off the road every weekend! Strange...

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought my parents ‘02 Town and Country minivan from them about 5-7 years ago, when they got another vehicle. This van had ran into a deer when it was couple of years old. It dinged the hood, broke the headlight and bent the Left fender some. Part of the broken headlight cut the wiring harness going to engine computer – which is a couple of inches away from headlight. Not too bad damage wise – but car was left stranded – in the middle of nowhere.

My dad replaced the headlight and found a used fender the same color, butt connected the wiring (without using sealer or shrink wrap) and otherwise you wouldn’t know it.
A couple years after we got it – I had problems with the butt connector (corrosion) after car died and wouldn’t restart (thanks dad . . . ).
BudW

Back