One More 77 LeBaron question

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
The car runs well but came from an altitude of over 5000 ft now it is in an elevation of 300 ft . Will I need to adjust the carburetor . What signs should I look for if any ? Thanks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The carburetor should be self-adjusting, if it was made for high altitude.
If it wasn’t a high altitude car, then it won’t like it up high.

I do know these cars do not like to be fed anything BUT 100% fuel.

My ’77 wagon feels like you are dragging another car behind you, when you fill up with any grade Ethanol. Once I get it burned off and re-filled with 100%, it runs great again.

Now you might have other issues involved (stopped up filters, carburetor out of adjustment, a failed part somewhere, etc.). I would run at least one full tank of 100% fuel, before doing anything (preferably two tanks).
BudW

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
I filled it up the ethanol lowest grade seems to run OK a little rough at startup and a little roughness at stops but not much. You are referring to NON ethanol gas ?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Ethanol is a corn based alcohol mixed with gasoline at either 10% (90% gasoline) or at 15% (85% gasoline).

It takes more Ethanol to burn (than same quantity of 100% gasoline), so fuel mixture will be leaner. If you have one of today's computerized cars (a few levels above Lean Burn – if you have the Lean Burn computer system), then they can compensate for the additional fuel needed to run correctly.
Our FMJ cars (Lean Burn, or not), just can’t do it,

Also, the alcohol effects other things (likes eats rubber and plastic, etc.).
Ethanol came out a long time after FMJ cars quit production.
BudW

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Ethanol is a corn based alcohol mixed with gasoline at either 10% (90% gasoline) or at 15% (85% gasoline).

It takes more Ethanol to burn (than same quantity of 100% gasoline), so fuel mixture will be leaner. If you have one of today's computerized cars (a few levels above Lean Burn – if you have the Lean Burn computer system), then they can compensate for the additional fuel needed to run correctly.
Our FMJ cars (Lean Burn, or not), just can’t do it,

Also, the alcohol effects other things (likes eats rubber and plastic, etc.).
Ethanol came out a long time after FMJ cars quit production.
BudW
Thanks Bud I will do this at the next fill up we do have one pump in this one horse town that is ethanol free

Back