Opinions if you got one I wanna read it.

SirDenhudir

Reaction score
Hello everyone SirDenhudir here, I'm new to this site and also the Mopar family. I am a proud owner of a 1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue with the 5.2l 318 V8 of course with the ESA system and Holly 6280 feedback carburetor. I'm wondering should I keep it original under the hood or should I drop the ESA and go mechanical carburetor with no extra garbage on the engine? Also emissions aren't important here in my state we don't have emissions checking.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Unless the carb is giving you problems, I'd open the exhaust by getting rid of the 3 cats and going with a Canadian Y pipe first.

Then I'd be doing rear end unless 2.2 highway gears are to your taste.

Not going to achieve much with just another carb on a stock motor.

I open the exhaust on all my Ms.
Then a hotter ignition.
I bet my 86 F/A can keep up to my AHB.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
These electronic controled carbs did not have the intelegence of today's computer controlled jelly beans. So on our cars you can easilly open up the exhaust as wide as you would like with the electronic spark system caring less.

In regards to that electronic spark control system it is a fine system, and contrary to popular belief gets a lot of bad press. If properly diagnosed it will run reliably for many years. I still run the unit on Darth Car, and he is an 82.

I have read several of your other posts, and you have reached the point where you have to rebuild your carb. The ethanol has destroyed yours. That is why you have the stalling issues. Rebuilds for these carbs can be done, but if you take it to a carb shop prepare to drop $250 - $300. So you might actually want to consider swapping out your electronic spark control system, and going back to a manual carb, and first generation Chrysler electronic ignition.

Master M

Reaction score
I would leave your set up alone unless it gives you problems that may be remedied by going to a Holley 2280.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My thoughts.
If it is working, leave it be. If it is not working, then look at options.

More importantly is: what is your plans for the car.
If you have plans or goals for the car, then lead on (but ask questions first).
If car is only getting from point A to B, then fixing what needs fixed may be the best route.

BudW

SirDenhudir

Reaction score
My thoughts.
If it is working, leave it be. If it is not working, then look at options.

More importantly is: what is your plans for the car.
If you have plans or goals for the car, then lead on (but ask questions first).
If car is only getting from point A to B, then fixing what needs fixed may be the best route.

BudW
Checkout my garage I have pics and plans listed I just want it to stay running for now

mchartier105

Reaction score
My opinion would be to find a good Holley without the electronically controlled garbage, a new electronic ignition distributor, and install HEI ignition. Then you can look into recurving that distributor for a more or less perfect advance curve on your car. This should give you both better gas mileage and performance.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I'd swap the carb out with a good non feedback BBD and put a Mopar distributor and ECU in it. I've done this to 2 of my cars and 1 truck now. It looks stock as I left the Lean Burn air cleaner on it and put the ECU in the exact spot my non lean burn F body ECU is. I do this because I've been stranded by bad Lean Burn modules twice.

SirDenhudir

Reaction score
I'd swap the carb out with a good non feedback BBD and put a Mopar distributor and ECU in it. I've done this to 2 of my cars and 1 truck now. It looks stock as I left the Lean Burn air cleaner on it and put the ECU in the exact spot my non lean burn F body ECU is. I do this because I've been stranded by bad Lean Burn modules twice.
Do you have any leads on finding these items? I'm very interested in that route.

SirDenhudir

Reaction score
Hello everyone SirDenhudir here, I'm new to this site and also the Mopar family. I am a proud owner of a 1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue with the 5.2l 318 V8 of course with the ESA system and Holly 6280 feedback carburetor. I'm wondering should I keep it original under the hood or should I drop the ESA and go mechanical carburetor with no extra garbage on the engine? Also emissions aren't important here in my state we don't have emissions checking.
Ok so the weirdest thing is happening it seem that my PCV Valve is rattling and making a high pitched squeal noise anyone have any ideas or solutions...

Master M

Reaction score
Ok so the weirdest thing is happening it seem that my PCV Valve is rattling and making a high pitched squeal noise anyone have any ideas or solutions...
I put a new PCV valve in and it did the same thing as yours. After a few months now it makes no noise.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
New PCV valves need a bit of oil to make them quiet, which they will get after a bit of usage.

Unless old PCV valve is stopped up - I don’t see to many of them go bad.

I bought a New Carter BBD off of eBay about four years ago ($125 (US), I think). I think it was a Chinese knockoff, but hey, it works.

The Carter BBD is my preference over the Holley 2280. I currently have a Holley 6280 just taking up space in my garage. It looks lonely in there, and is sitting beside about 80 or so Thermoquads.

Back