Ordered 4 new shocks for the fifth

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Monroe is offering a promotional where you get a $50 pre-paid visa card for buying 4 qualifying shocks from them. So I have a pair of "load assist" shocks for the backs, and "OESpectrum"s for the front. $104US exactly including shipping, so not bad I guess. I figure the springs on the load shocks for the backs will make up for the somewhat saggy springs back there.

Long overdue!
--- Post updated ---
IMAG0114.jpg

Ok, aside from the obvious differences of the big spring and notable lack of rust the original shock had some major internal valving failure.
IMAG0115.jpg

It should return to the fully extended state by itself, but as you can see, does not. The other side was just as rusty, but returned to position normally.
IMAG0116.jpg

New shocks in place are looking good and working MUCH better. I have a video of the car wallowing around while I was driving it. I'll upload it later, and shoot another in the same place to show the after.

I still have the fronts to put on, but haven't yet.

80mirada

Reaction score
Make sure you clean and put penetrating oil on the shock studs. I use a thread chaser on the studs to help with removing the nuts too.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
You sure got your moneys worth out of the old shocks,LOL.
Those rear shocks are what was on my 88 Diplomat AHB Cop Car.
You can't beat that deal and get 50.00 back.
Nice Score!

If you do ever replace the rear springs,
Get the HD 5 leaf, You wont be sorry you did.
--- Post updated ---
Make sure you clean and put penetrating oil on the shock studs. I use a thread chaser on the studs to help with removing the nuts too.
Good Advice!

I have had them so badly corroded,
that I had to cut them off with a cutting wheel.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used nut crackers on those nuts from time to time.

Also been wondering if putting a rubber/plastic (vacuum) cap on top stud) with some grease underneath, might be a good idea (and spruce up the car a bit (err, wheel well) at the same time).

So far that idea hasn’t been tried yet – so not sure how successful it will be. If nothing else, it might save knuckle skin someday.

Note: I have had to remove the front shock mount bracket (with shock attached) and work on those in a vise, from those nuts being, um, stubborn, before.

BudW

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You sure got your moneys worth out of the old shocks,LOL.
Those rear shocks are what was on my 88 Diplomat AHB Cop Car.
You can't beat that deal and get 50.00 back.
Nice Score!

If you do ever replace the rear springs,
Get the HD 5 leaf, You wont be sorry you did.
--- Post updated ---

Good Advice!

I have had them so badly corroded,
that I had to cut them off with a cutting wheel.

Had to cut the rear shocks off the Caravelle when I got it. That's the only way those things were coming off.

And X2 on the 5 leaf. That's what I have on my Fifth. Big difference.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
Also been wondering if putting a rubber/plastic (vacuum) cap on top stud) with some grease underneath, might be a good idea (and spruce up the car a bit (err, wheel well) at the same time).
BudW
Thats a good idea!
I have seen fuel hose slipped over the threads of the front sway bar links.
The threads that stick up through the K Frame.

Rust Belt cars should really consider your idea of grease and a vac cap on the threads.

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
I got extremely lucky when I replaced my shocks. Just some WD-40 and leverage and they came out. My car even came from Connecticut, so it's not like it didn't ever see salt.
--- Post updated ---

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I used PB Blaster on mine, wouldn't budge. I let it soak in for a couple days, hit it with a blow torch sprayed it again, and used a pry bar and they finally moved. Were still stubborn. I didn't even bother on the bottom ones, I just used the cutting disc.

Justwondering

Reaction score
So are you guys saying that while I'm checking out the clunking noise in the front end, I should also 1. check the shocks and 2. would get a better ride with 5 leafs instead of 4?

Does it make the ride stiffer or just less likely to bottom out when I go up my 1/4 mile rock driveway? How much does the extra leaf raise the car?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
So are you guys saying that . . . 2. would get a better ride with 5 leafs instead of 4?
I can’t answer the “better ride” using 5 leaf rear springs, but car should ride slightly higher because they are less likely to sag.
I would “think” the 5 leaf springs would equal a bit rougher ride - but have not compared them to say for sure.

My ride height on ‘77 Volare SW and ‘86 5th Ave are good and both have plenty of ground clearance. The other ‘77 not so much but it might be frame rot related.

I got a pair of 5 leaf springs from an ‘84 GF AHB that I was going to install into the ‘86 5th Ave when I install a 8-3/4 differential into it and delete the Iso’s. The Wagon should already have 5 leafs in it.

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Thanks budw

I'm still at the novice end of car wrenching. After reading this post I realized there are a few more things I could do to build my confidence before I tackle something complicated.

The service manual I have seemed to indicate it's not overly complicated but rather straightforward assuming I have the carlifted in a safe manner.

Thanks for the info

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
With the 5 leaf, the car doesn't ride any better, but it did raise my rear end up probably about 2 inches, I think. They are a firmer feel, and the car doesn't "float" as much going down the road. I personally like the firmer feel, and it's not overwhelming. Also, you can put more stuff in it with the extra travel, which helps for me because I use mine like a pick-up truck sometimes.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a pair of 5 leaf springs from an ‘84 GF AHB that I was going to install into the ‘86 5th Ave when I install a 8-3/4 differential into it and delete the Iso’s. The Wagon should already have 5 leafs in it.
I forgot to say the reason for installing the Gran Fury (GF) AHB (Police car) 5 leaf springs is because I’m going to install an high horsepower engine in it and it should handle the added HP better - other wise I don’t see the need sense I haven’t noticed any sag at this time.

BudW

Back