Passed Inspection!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Just got the 87 Fifth Avenue down to be inspected (yes, Texas requires annual inspections).

Lights replaced this morning. Had to dig 3 of them out of the sockets due to rust. Yes, I disconnected the battery before I started.

Horn line was disconnected, but that was an easy fix.

Replaced the two wiper blades (annually, just like batteries in the smoke detector).

Used that fine, meat-locker cold A/C running on MAX and high blower.

The guy doing the inspection said 'you know I have to ride in it and test the brakes'. I laughed and told him go ahead.

He came back with a grin on his face and said it sure had a comfortable seat and brakes were great and he loved the engine!

Passed. Sha-zam!

Thanks for everyone's help...

Bruceynz

Reaction score
My Cordoba has to go through one of them every 6 months in NZ, if your car is manufactured after 2000 then its every year, I never do enough miles in it for it to fail so its a hassle to me all the time, on the plus side the inspectors like the doba :) Good news your road legal! Its always a relief!!!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Congrats!
Wisconsin requires no inspections of any kind for non-commercial vehicles. Commercial over 8,800 lbs (I think that's the weight), require an annual DOT inspection be done at the qualifying repair shop of your choice. We do them where I work.

Downside to no annual inspections is, there's some real crap driving the roads. I don't mean rotted out because, that includes a good portion of vehicles more than 6 or 7 years old around here. I mean just unsafe, should NOT be on the road cars and trucks in general.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Congrats- Yep inspections have an upside and a downside. Back in the day, my 76 Volare' failed inspection for body rust- the fenders. The Governor of NJ had her nose so far up the EPA ass, they must have had some kick back going on. Eventually NJ got away from failing guys like me for different shades of red on the taillamp lens- yep they thought the red was too red. Or other stuff they took personal. The times have changed though.... I got my current Volare inspected in 2014 (2 years now in NJ) and it passed just to prove it could. Now, starting this year- No inspection for anything older than 1996. All the late 90's ricercrap and millennial motorized boxes get boned for taillight tint, window tint, butt kazzoo exhaust and nutsack decorations.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Congrats. I am glad that we don't have that emissions here or a inspection in Crossville TN but I have lived in other cities that did and boy did it suck. Half to have a converter and so on. I guess just away for some cities or states to make even more money off of hard working citizens that already pay a lot out in taxes in other ways. Thank You

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Congrats!
Wisconsin requires no inspections of any kind for non-commercial vehicles. Commercial over 8,800 lbs (I think that's the weight), require an annual DOT inspection be done at the qualifying repair shop of your choice. We do them where I work.

Downside to no annual inspections is, there's some real crap driving the roads. I don't mean rotted out because, that includes a good portion of vehicles more than 6 or 7 years old around here. I mean just unsafe, should NOT be on the road cars and trucks in general.

We have many here that drive those high dollar rides and cant see worth a crap here. Not to be a azz downing anyone but the day that I cant see anymore I wont be driving. I will have someone else drive me. We were at the local Dollar Store awhile back I was getting some beef jerky and there was a lady who did the Dukes of Hazard threw a field and I guess she thought there was a road there needless to say there wasn't she was making her own I told the wife get us out of here before we get killed. Nose diving on pavement is never fun.

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I had a Fried Green Tomatoes moment this past week.
Was in the dually and returning from errand. Dropped hubby at front door of Braums Ice Cream and went to park. Found two vacant spots so I could pull through and be closer to door so he didn't have to walk as far.

White Prius comes up on my left. I was backing up so I could drive straight through to the other spot. By the time I was lined up and headed back forward that damn little car sped around and pulled in from the other side.

I just kept going forward and made sure my front bumper intruded into their spot. They obviously realized I had planned to pull through. Its not like that dually is hard to see.

Neither the driver nor the passenger even looked at me. Just got out talking and laughing and headed to the store.

Seemed like I sat there forever debating whether to pull on through and smush the front of their car. My grill sits up higher so it would have creamed their front.

It was so very tempting.
I have insurance.

But then I thought , why waste my time on a hot afternoon on a prius. So instead, when we were ready to leave I go back out and back up the truck and pull it around for him.

Sigh.

I don't know what comes over me sometimes, but I had to chuckle to myself when I realized I was channeling Kathy Bates in that movie.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
I had a Fried Green Tomatoes moment this past week.
Was in the dually and returning from errand. Dropped hubby at front door of Braums Ice Cream and went to park. Found two vacant spots so I could pull through and be closer to door so he didn't have to walk as far.

White Prius comes up on my left. I was backing up so I could drive straight through to the other spot. By the time I was lined up and headed back forward that damn little car sped around and pulled in from the other side.

I just kept going forward and made sure my front bumper intruded into their spot. They obviously realized I had planned to pull through. Its not like that dually is hard to see.

Neither the driver nor the passenger even looked at me. Just got out talking and laughing and headed to the store.

Seemed like I sat there forever debating whether to pull on through and smush the front of their car. My grill sits up higher so it would have creamed their front.

It was so very tempting.
I have insurance.

But then I thought , why waste my time on a hot afternoon on a prius. So instead, when we were ready to leave I go back out and back up the truck and pull it around for him.

Sigh.

I don't know what comes over me sometimes, but I had to chuckle to myself when I realized I was channeling Kathy Bates in that movie.
I know exactly what you mean. There are so many times when some clown pulls a dumbass move that I think to my self " Self, I,m driving a big ugly diesel with a low gear and a turbo. I could just drive over the clown and the truck probably wouldn`t even slow down much ", but I resist the urge over and over again. Maybe one I`ll snap and say f*** it because I have insurance and one free accident. What good is a free accident if you don`t ever use it ?

Justwondering

Reaction score
No problem, Aspen500.
I would think about it briefly, but I wouldn't do it. That's best left to the movie makers.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The statement made in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, “I have more insurance than you” may be correct – but in case of deliberate damage to your car or to another car - is not covered under any auto insurance policy (at least not in the US).

Insurance Policy’s will only cover “accidents”, so if in that case, just don’t say anything other than my foot slipped or coffee split onto lap, or whatever.

Admitting to it – negates the “accident” aspect of it.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I kind of remember on the back of my motorcycle insurance card, it stated something like" Don't offer to take the blame, don't admit to doing anything wrong, and don't offer to pay for anything until you talk to us". My agent was great. especially when the 89 year old man backed over me and total a 3 week old bike. He could not understand how I got there or why his car was sitting higher than usual. He admitted nothing. Also, he would not give up his insurance card. That is until the cops showed up. He even got mouthy with the cop. My agent made his insurance pay big time.

lowbudget

Reaction score
My 77 Aspen passed Utah inspection last week. I had to put a new windshield in it before I took it in though. It helps when the mechanic knows you as he sees me about every month to inspect a different car.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I had to put a new windshield in it before I took it in though.
I appear to be derailing the thread, but I wanted to know did you get a new or used windshield.
I also wanted to know what it cost you for part(s) and labor to install.

Thank you,
BudW

lowbudget

Reaction score
New for 195.00 out the door. I wasn't real happy with their glue job though as it is coming out from under the moldings. It's my beater so as long as it doesn't leak I guess it's OK. Now I know why they were 10.00 cheaper then everybody else. LOL

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Lowbudget, thank you.
I hadn't priced a windshield in 30 years and was expecting a figure of about $100 to 200 higher.

Back