Picked up my new toy

hemichuck

Reaction score
76 Volare Wagon was originally V8 automatic car, rusty floor, sub frames connected, line lock, headers and exhaust, electric fuel pump, larger fuel line, it has a 9 1/4 -3.55 sure grip out of a Durango in it. Brush painted, plaid interior, and I gave $200 and an aluminum intake for it,need I say more? The plan is to install a 408 I have sitting here with an automatic trans(manual valve body), change the rear to an 8 3/4 ( any suggestions here much appreciated). I haven't had a Volare for quite a while so I have a couple of questions, are the springs A body length? I'd like to change to super stock springs. Do they make polyurethane or solid mounts for the front K member? What is the rear end width and center to center on the leaf springs? The 408 is all forged internals with Probe flat top Pistons that are at zero deck, I currently have Edelbrock closed chamber heads which is going to put me at about 11.8 comp. running a 557 Mopar Performance flat tappet cam and a Holley Strip Dominator intake. I have some W2 heads getting worked on for later.

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
There are aluminum and poly insulators available for the k-frame. I believe the solid ones can be had from Firm Feel. The poly ones from any number of sources. Got mine from Espo Springs 'n Things. They're technically for a '73 and up B body but fit just fine on an F -body as well.

hemichuck

Reaction score
It fits the overall ugliness of the vehicle, the only thing I don't like is they're 60/40 seats, I'd rather have a shifter between them

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Mopar performance used to have the front spring hangers, I think there 4" deeper than stock for SS springs.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A nice looking wagon you have there!

Before I get started, I have a question for you:
I’m guessing you do not intend on using the 9¼” differential already in the vehicle?
Is that differential use 6-lug or 5-lugs?

I would like to see pictures of how the differential is attached to the leaf springs. I suspect good news there – but not sure, yet.

Your Questions:
What is the rear end width and center to center on the leaf springs?

FMJ-bodies all use the same differentials measurements (for 7¼” and 8¼”). All station wagons use 8¼” – but apparently yours does not, any longer.
They measure 54.340” from backing plate (or flange) to backing plate.
44.46” perch center to perch center

In B and C-Bodies, 8¼” and 9¼” differentials use the same propeller shaft length (which are 1.6” shorter than 7¼” propeller shafts are).
8¼” (and 9¼”) U-joint center is 11.69” from center of axle shaft.

Change the rear to an 8 3/4
A ’65-70 B-body 8¾ differential will “almost” drop right in. Just about anything else will need to be modified (ie: shortened or lengthened) to make fit.
All ’65-70 B-bodies have perch center to perch center of 44.0” (0.230” difference per side)
Backing plate (flange) to backing plate distance are:
‘65-67 B-body 54.250”
’68-69 B-body 54.936”
’70 B-body 54.906”
Any of the 3 will fit.
For bigger tires – I think the ’65-67 version might be better. For track racing, I suspect the wider differentials might be better.

FMJ’s have an ISO-clamp (ie: rubber plates) system that isolates the differential from the leaf springs. The rubber plates are not that great for performance applications. The large “U” shape part of ISO-clamp is prong to breaking and leaving one stranded, when it does break.

Several here has installed Poly spring mounts/pads and have been happy with them.

I recommend using the older spring shock plates (which would be used on 8¾” to begin with) and just eliminate any ISO-Clamp troubles.
Also, I “suspect” the older shock plates might already be used, maybe (which is why I wanted a picture of the area).

Are the springs A-body length? I'd like to change to super stock springs.
Most F-body Station Wagons (but not all) came with 5-leaf rear springs – which seem to do well on performance applications (for FMJ’s).

Leaf spring specs: (front segment / rear segment / total length)
’60-76 A-body 20 / 35 / 55”
’76-89 FMJ-body 24 / 34 / 58”
’70-74 E-body 22 / 35 / 57”
’62-65 B-body 21 / 35 / 56”
’66-79 B-body 22 / 36 / 58”
(Early) Dakota 24 / 32 / 56”
MP Super Stock 20 / 36 / 56”

A person might be able to purchase or fabricate new front leaf spring brackets to use the Super Stock Springs.
I recommend trying the original 5-leaf springs and getting them re-arched, first (if it has 5-leaf springs, that is). If not happy with performance, then try to make the S.S.’s one fit.

Some people has had good luck using Dakota springs. Note: I’ve not tried S.S. or Dakota springs (yet) so can’t comment - other than measurements.

Do they make polyurethane or solid mounts for the front K member?
Mentioned earlier – but to recap. FFI sells aluminum (solid) K-frame mounts. MP made some cast iron ones back in the day, but they are hard to find (and extra heavy). One or two people make Poly mounts. I hadn’t heard anything bad from any of them. If you are planning on racing the car (strip or track) I would recommend the aluminum ones. If mostly to get groceries in, then Poly might be recommended.

I have a set of FFI ones – Very nice and light, but pricy.
‘73’ish and up B-body, R-body and FMJ K-frame mounts are the same.

Note: if you are planning on changing the engine out, I might recommend you drop the engine/transmission/K-frame down as an assy (or more correctly said by raising the body up). That way headers (if used) install is easier. Also change out those K-frame mounts at same time.
BudW

Back