Pictures and length of super six accelerator cable ?

shadango

Reaction score
If there is anyone out there with a 1980 Volare ( or I assume Aspen as well?) that has a super six stock setup, can you post a picture of the accelerator cable from carb to firewall? And maybe a length?

I bought the 318 cable as many have suggested and it turns out that it doesnt fit very well IMHO.....it is a few inches too long it seems....would have to BEND the cable in the middle to force fit the end of the cable into the bracket.....and that seems couterintutive.......

Some have said they have used their 1 bbl cable and "looped it" , and been told it could cause issues like binding....I cant see how my bending this cable in the middle to fit would result in any better results......

20161020_175409_zpslrvvutnb.gif

20161020_175530.jpg

shadango

Reaction score
Yeah it seems like manhy have said that.....others have said otherwise......I can see how looping it might be less than ideal......

I figured I would spring for the new, shorter cable since the old one was....er....old....anyways......but it looks like I will be reusing the old one at least for a bit......and there is NO listing for a 2bbl cable versus a 1 bbl cable for a 1980 Volare anywhere....

lowbudget

Reaction score
There is a link in the new link as Amazons link was funky. Sorry about that but I got busy at work before I could change it.

shadango

Reaction score
Yeah I actually bought that cable from amazon like dan said.

My thought though is that while it may work with an older valiant etc, maybe the f body engine bay is slightly less deep and therefore the difference. ....one cable can't be right for EVERY car. And so I wonder if that's the case here.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Did you read through the whole article? The 80 FSM shows the Volare to have a loop

Scan_Pic0004_zpsxjzfpif6.jpg

shadango

Reaction score
I hadn't seen that picture.......

And some folks do seem to agree that the loop is correct and more importantly safe.....

.....but the shorter cable was prescribed as the best way to go.......

And all I am saying is that on our particular car, it doesn't appear that the short cable will work.......and was wondering if somehow I received an incorrect cable , so I figured comparing lengths would be the best way to be sure.

shadango

Reaction score
Looking at the picture more closely it seems to indicate that either method would work, though for my body style (n, same as a volare) it used a loop.....

Probably had to do more with ease of assembly on the production line.....because the lower cable shows a sharp bend in it, which is what I am seeing on ours.....how can a sharp bend be better than an easy loop?

lowbudget

Reaction score
IDK what my 77 Aspen has for a cable as I'm at work for 10 more days. I'm thinking they used whatever stock they had on hand on the assembly line. I would run it like the service manual shows.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never seen a looped throttle cable before – so was surprised to see that FSM picture (and was wondering what were they thinking).

I don’t have any parts details or FSM’s for ’80 or ’81.
I would “think” the ’79 details should be the same or really close.

TC 79 225-1 Auto.JPG

TC 79 225-1 Auto Parts.JPG

1 bbl
TC 79 225-2 Auto.JPG

TC 79 225-2 Auto Parts.JPG

2 bbl

According to the picture, it looks the existing cable will fit and work fine.
20161020_175530.jpg

Just need to clip it onto the stud (at White arrow), move cable onto of the other side of stud (Red arrow) then clamp it.
TC adjustment.JPG
TC 77 Adjustment Pic.JPG

Back