Pinstripes : LeBaron vs Cordoba 77 & 79

Justwondering

Reaction score
DarthCar and I just had a 'catching up' phone call.

I made a comment about surface rust and the 79 LeBaron repaint like I did years ago with the 87 Fifth Avenue.

I also made an offhand remark about putting white pin stripes on the green LeBaron and he immediately nixed the idea but suggested an alternative--- Cordoba pinstripes.. which appear to be unobtanium.

He said that in 77 the Cordoba had wider pinstripes that had a gap and 'flower like things' in the gap...???

vs
LeBaron with solid stripes that were closer together.

Searching the interweb for pinstripes for these cars left me with very pixelated pictures that I can't tell much from when I enlarge them.

Would a Cordoba owner take a picture and post a picture of these unique Cordoba pinstripes?

And if a 79 LeBaron person could post a picture of those pinstripes??

I have very worn and ragged pinstripes on my LeBaron but don't know if its original or touched up.

JW

69-

Reaction score
I'll post some closeups of my 79 LeBaron later on. They seem original, as far as I can tell. Will also check on the models with/without (IIRC only Medallion had them) according to the dealer brochure.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Lebaron pinstripe is the typical kind. I can't picture the Cordoba one you're talking about.

69-

Reaction score
So, here it is - overview and details of my Medallions pin striping. Nice to see that it is "connected" between front and fender. And that it is "single" at start and end of the stripe, but double inbetween.

My dealer's brochure says, that only Salon and Medallion had the side pin stripes (as shown). The rear pin stripe ("color-coordinated rear accent tape stripes") was only on the Medallion.

Hope that sheds some light. :)

_IMG_20210505_192126.jpg

_IMG_20210505_192131.jpg

_IMG_20210505_192138.jpg

_IMG_20210505_192144.jpg

_IMG_20210505_192153.jpg

_IMG_20210505_192201.jpg

_IMG_20210505_192205.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'll have to ask DarthCar to show me an image of what he was talking about on the Cordoba pinstriping.

"Shirley, he wasn't blowing smoke up my skirt"

"Don't call me Shirley!!"

LOL
my warped brain this morning.
too many excel spreadsheet revisions.

JW

Milezero

Reaction score
DarthCar and I just had a 'catching up' phone call.

I made a comment about surface rust and the 79 LeBaron repaint like I did years ago with the 87 Fifth Avenue.

I also made an offhand remark about putting white pin stripes on the green LeBaron and he immediately nixed the idea but suggested an alternative--- Cordoba pinstripes.. which appear to be unobtanium.

He said that in 77 the Cordoba had wider pinstripes that had a gap and 'flower like things' in the gap...???

vs
LeBaron with solid stripes that were closer together.

Searching the interweb for pinstripes for these cars left me with very pixelated pictures that I can't tell much from when I enlarge them.

Would a Cordoba owner take a picture and post a picture of these unique Cordoba pinstripes?

And if a 79 LeBaron person could post a picture of those pinstripes??

I have very worn and ragged pinstripes on my LeBaron but don't know if its original or touched up.

JW

IMG_1131.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder about DarthCar's memory....lol
All the pictures I've seen clearly show solid pinstripes ... no 'flower things'
hmmmmm

JW

Milezero

Reaction score
I’ve seen the pinstripes he’s talking about on a Cordoba before. It was a 76 if memory serves.

69-

Reaction score
Just realized they're not the greatest pics, but I hope it helps a little.
360 with dual exhaust? And a Medallion.

I Was only able to afford a 360 in my Camper (Dodge MB400, 1979). Single exhaust. :D

Milezero

Reaction score
I wish! 318 Lean Burn. The exhaust is the only aftermarket item on the car, and it hangs way too low behind the axle. I gotta clean that up.

69-

Reaction score
Although, the 318 lean burn (same here, but no cat, air pump disconnected due to a failed diverter valve) is quite responsive enough for todays traffic.

Not for any race and quick-start-at-the-lights, but hey. It's old iron.

I managed to run it with a very light foot with almost 18.4 mpg. Having a "slightly" heavier foot gets it down to 11.8 mpg. I'm quite happy. :cool:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a white '77 Cordoba (with red interior/top), many many moons ago. I don't remember the pin stripping on it being anything unusual or different.

Note: For the pin striping design shown (above), It might be easier to find a person (or shop) who will use paint, instead finding/using a decal - which can be difficult to do.
Some of those pin striping artists an reproduce the factory stripes perfectly (using paint) - or go as wild as one would like.
BudW

Mr C

Reaction score
Darthcar's not wrong...the early round headlight 'dobas has fancy pinstripes that had accent squiggles (not flowers) between the stripes.

Problem is they are not reproduced anywhere, so properly restoring a Cordoba is nearly impossible.

Best pic I could find on short notice... you can see there's a pattern in there, but no close up of the squiggles...

4-10-2012-011.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
My '78 Cordoba just had the dual pinstripes, no squiggles.

Those pinstripe artists are amazing. How they can pull a dead straight and even line from front to rear and then another for a double stripe, keeping the distance between the two EXCTLY the same, all freehand, almost doesn't seem possible. I have a hard time putting tape stripes on straight, lol.

Mr C

Reaction score
My '78 Cordoba just had the dual pinstripes, no squiggles.

Those pinstripe artists are amazing. How they can pull a dead straight and even line from front to rear and then another for a double stripe, keeping the distance between the two EXCTLY the same, all freehand, almost doesn't seem possible. I have a hard time putting tape stripes on straight, lol.
Yes, as I mentioned above the fancy pinstripes were on the round headlight 'dobas...gone by 78. My 79 doesn't have them either...nor do the J bodies.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Saw that. Kind of what I meant that the square lights didn't have the squigglies.

My Cordoba's been gone for over 25 years and I still miss that car!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Everything is On hold for another week. Have been in hospital with husband since last Wednesday.

Somebody tell earl I’ll mail his check for lenses later this week.

And somebody tell Steven schupp I still want the seat and antenna.

More info later

HW

Justwondering

Reaction score
If all goes well, we leave the hospital today and I'll catch up on my obligations by the weekend.
JW

Back