Please help me decide

efriedrich

Reaction score
I have been wishy washy on which engine to use in my LeBaron. I was leaning towards just rebuilding the 318 since I already have it. Then I thought about trying to find a low mile magnum 360 and putting that in but I haven't been able to find anything that doesn't have a 100k on it. Then yesterday I came across a complete 1973 360 that was just pulled from a running truck and I can it get for a hundred bucks. It's hard to pass on the LA at that price but a rebuild will easily be a couple grand; or should I just wait for a magnum to come along.

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
If that LA isn't blown or cracked, then go that route. A good rebuilt LA with modern gaskets would be nice. The magnums don't have the mechanical fuel pump and get tricky when trying to tune them with a carb. There's ways to do it, but You got to be into the full mod deal.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I tend to be a stock kind of guy
But if I was doing a swap I'd go for the LA too.
Not big on FI, I like carbs myself.
And like billy said, carb swap on a magnum is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Had a Dart back in the day, that came factory with a teen . A tired 1 at that . I stepped that up to another teen with a bit more , but got foolish and left water in it on a winter's day . That hurt . I came across a 360 still in a '74 maxi-van that was at that time given to me . I dropped it in and was absolutely amased . That thing made a built 454 look lame . My vote goes for the '73 360 from the truck .

aspen77rt

Reaction score
My pref would be a magnum. Hyd roller cam.

Whatever you decide.....rebuild it.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
A hundred bucks? That should be reason enough, even if it needs a 'freshening'....

jasperjacko

Reaction score
All depends on your goals I guess. I'm thinking of a turbo efi 318 in the future for Modoba: mpg and power. 100 bucks does sound good for a running 360.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
All depends on your goals I guess. I'm thinking of a turbo efi 318 in the future for Modoba: mpg and power. 100 bucks does sound good for a running 360.

Hey man, I love your Modoba!
It is goals in my case.
You know this sh*t, I'm still just learning.
That's why I like to keep it simple.
Good ol' carb teener or slant.
You and your car are very inspirational to a guy like me.
Kudos, and keep the drive alive.
Awesome work.

My imp

Reaction score
Size matters, K.I.S.S. , & all other clichés that fit. Parts that fit (headers, trans,acc's,etc) vs procuring & fab'ing the ones that don't; I vote LA.

efriedrich

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I have had a lot of 318's but never a 360. I always hear how much stronger the 360 is compared to the teen.

Last edited:

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
As you probably already know, you will need a car pan for the 360
the 318 pan wont fit. I found one online for 50.00 New.
And you will have to shim up the Drivers side motor mount
where it bolts to the block. your exhaust and everything else
will work off of your 318.

efriedrich

Reaction score
Yeah I thought about just putting a big arm in the teen. I already have a set of 360 heads and a four barrel intake. I think I could do it pretty reasonably.

Back