Police HD K-Frame reference pictures

mattechperf

Reaction score
I had my K-frame chemical dipped and took a bunch of pictures of it before I paint it. I hope these can be some good reference pictures for others to find useful.
I see what must be a lot of extra welding and bracing that I imagine wasn't on the standard vehicles.
If anyone has any thoughts on added welding, bracing, gusseting, etc...I'd sure appreciate the insight.

Mad Matt
www.madmattcreations.com

20220127_212154.jpg

20220127_212158.jpg

20220127_212201.jpg

20220127_212203.jpg

20220127_212211.jpg

20220127_212213.jpg

20220127_212215.jpg

20220127_212217.jpg

20220127_212221.jpg

20220127_212228.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
All k frames are prone to cracking so a thorough sand blast and inspection is called for.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing this K is from an '88?

All k frames are prone to cracking so a thorough sand blast and inspection is called for.
I would agree with that - with used police K's being known to have been abused most of its life (in general). The taxi K's maybe not as much (and I would say that most taxi's used the police suspension.
The problem with taxi's were they had bajjillon miles on 'em before retired (or simply fell to dust/rust). I hadn't seen or heard of a F or M taxi in 30 years? now.

The next question is it's intended purpose. If you are going racing (road or drag) or something similar, then yes - the K will need to be reinforced. If a show car or daily driver, then just fix cracks when found, and modify at your discretion.

Going back to the original question. I plan on driving my cars hard and they will have heavier torsion bars/sway bar(s) (FFI's for each) and car will be backing more weight (big blocks), so I will be prepping my K's accordingly.

The items I have found (mostly when working on Tulsa police cars) were various cracks (which are repairable), weld breaks where the steering gear bracket (yellow arrow) attaches to rest of K-frame:
20220127_212203a.jpg

Also, the two upright portions (red lines) have a tendency to bow inwards (from hard landings)(red arrow), which was reinforced (green arrow) to help prevent that. I not sure how a person could reinforce this location - without taking the assembly apart and welding something inside.

the spot welds where these two seams are at:
20220127_212213a.jpg

(both front and back seams) could stand to be welded and might be were I've found the most cracks.

Also, check for rust - which I generally see most often here:
20220127_212154a.jpg

K-frame mounts and sway bar mounts. It seams these areas tend to build up dirt which retains water moisture. Typically, if no rust is found at these locations, then you generally have a good one (cracks pending).

BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures from a '84 Gran Fury police car. You will notice some differences to yours and this one has had a crack repair job on it.
Note: the arrow is facing the front of the vehicle. Also marked is if picture is taken from birds-eye view or worms-eye view.
20190826_203239a.jpg

20190826_203245a.jpg

20190826_203258a.jpg

20190826_203302a.jpg

20190826_203317a.jpg

20190826_203317c.jpg

20190826_203326a.jpg

20190826_203342a.jpg

BudW

mattechperf

Reaction score
Here are some pictures from a '84 Gran Fury police car. You will notice some differences to yours and this one has had a crack repair job on it.
Note: the arrow is facing the front of the vehicle. Also marked is if picture is taken from birds-eye view or worms-eye view.

BudW

BudW, thank you so much for all that info. It's exceptionally helpful and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it when others who have "been there, done that" can chime in with useful info.
So many forums are full of people who blast out opinions with no receipts to back em up.
I'm so glad too see things are different here. :D:D:D

mattechperf

Reaction score

BudW

I would agree with that - with used police K's being known to have been abused most of its life (in general). The taxi K's maybe not as much (and I would say that most taxi's used the police suspension.
The problem with taxi's were they had bajjillon miles on 'em before retired (or simply fell to dust/rust). I hadn't seen or heard of a F or M taxi in 30 years? now.

The next question is it's intended purpose. If you are going racing (road or drag) or something similar, then yes - the K will need to be reinforced. If a show car or daily driver, then just fix cracks when found, and modify at your discretion.

Going back to the original question. I plan on driving my cars hard and they will have heavier torsion bars/sway bar(s) (FFI's for each) and car will be backing more weight (big blocks), so I will be prepping my K's accordingly.

The items I have found (mostly when working on Tulsa police cars) were various cracks (which are repairable), weld breaks where the steering gear bracket (yellow arrow) attaches to rest of K-frame:
View attachment 46177
Also, the two upright portions (red lines) have a tendency to bow inwards (from hard landings)(red arrow), which was reinforced (green arrow) to help prevent that. I not sure how a person could reinforce this location - without taking the assembly apart and welding something inside.

BudW

And yes, this is an 88 Gran Fury. Former City of Mesa, AZ police car.
Regarding added reinforcement to the inner part of the upper A-arm support (green arrow), I wonder if an addition, horizontal brace/mount could be made to go between the frame rail and the just above the welded/reinforced area. I would probably need to be careful in making it attach with neutral tension to the components as to not pull the A-arms inward.

Perhaps a long, threaded stud could be put in place of the upper two arm mounting plate that would preload against the frame rail. But, I'm probably overthinkin it.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention this.
My family has been involved in (local/small time) stock car racing and sprint car racing. If you perform much welding on a frame or chassis, we always took the frame (or componenet) to a shop to get it stress relieved afterwards. You can't take a car chassis, but something like a control arm or K-frame (or sprint car tube chassis, etc.) you can. It will prevent future cracks after welding, for welding does something to the metal during the welding process (one of those terms that fell out of brain a few years back).

I plan on getting my lower control arms and K-frames reinforced before paint.
FMJ LCA Reinforcement.jpg

BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps a long, threaded stud could be put in place of the upper two arm mounting plate that would preload against the frame rail. But, I'm probably overthinkin it.
You might be able to - but those bolts are T-shaped - so they can be tightened/loosened (or replaced if damaged). I suspect having a little "give" to K-frame might be helpful long term - if you had to jump train tracks and landed hard (typical police chases).
Those T-bolts came on FMJ, Dakota and (early) Durango only and are not easy to find.
BudW

mattechperf

Reaction score
You might be able to - but those bolts are T-shaped - so they can be tightened/loosened (or replaced if damaged). I suspect having a little "give" to K-frame might be helpful long term - if you had to jump train tracks and landed hard (typical police chases).
Those T-bolts came on FMJ, Dakota and (early) Durango only and are not easy to find.
BudW
I was thinking of the horizontal bolts that hold the A-arm mounting plate to the K-frame. Specifically the upper two bolts. I thought by having a stud thread all the way through, I can preload the whole assembly against the frame rail and then tighten down a nut to hold the plate. Kinda like preloading a bearing cap on an aluminum differential cover. .
However, I see your point of wanting "some" give in the setup.
1643647458658.png

dm330

Reaction score
Going back to the original question. I plan on driving my cars hard and they will have heavier torsion bars/sway bar(s) (FFI's for each) and car will be backing more weight (big blocks), so I will be prepping my K's accordingly
Bud, were you one of the ones able to get the torsion bars from FFI? Last year I placed my order and they were 6 years behind at the time. A couple months ago they said they had to temporarily stop production and were still 4 years behind on orders.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Firm feel used to have a pic of there reinforced K they sold, it was ok for a guide to where to strengthen. But really anyone with a few years of fab work under them can look at the K and easily consider the stressors and add material or more welds to strengthen.

Ive not seen it posted yet but you might consider a two part skid plated on the very bottom of the K that outlines both in front and back of the "slot" the front sway bar sits in. Ive one rig that was raced since new and I put two spools of mig wire in it, worst I ever seen, actual rips in the metal so I will replace at some point. I just used 3/16 or 1/4 inch plate and formed it in so it looks like it came with it/part of it.

But really its just common sense from a fab standpoint. If you look at pre production vids of the front end in testing the K flexes itself which to me sucks.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Dont know that anyone here has tried it but a skilled metallurgist with a heat treating oven can bring back old bars to even a stiffer rate without adding to the brittleness on the bars. But so far it works. Somehow we got into the habbit of either worn bars or just trying to be cool lowereing the front ends of our f-s (probably others) but that was not the intent of he design. People with correct ride height on a f these days seem to get grief for the proper high sitting front ends.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Not tried, yet.

I need two pair. At $795 for a pair (or 1,600 for two pair), I wanted to have my $$ saved up, first.
I've had my name on that darn "waiting list" for as long as I can remember.

Still reach out to Mike (I belive if recall correctly) once a year inquiring with: "hey, is Santa coming to visit me this year???"

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
a skilled metallurgist with a heat treating oven can bring back old bars to even a stiffer rate without adding to the brittleness on the bars.
I have heard that before. Metallurgy is not a topic I know much about but heat treating can do a lot of different things - depending on how it is applied.
That said, it is not "logical' that you can make a stiffer bar using the same thickness of material - but it can happen.

I want new torsion bars - but not keen of spending that much money for a bar that is very stiff.
My main item is getting new bars is partially for the new bushings - for I'd rather pay someone for new parts and to do the work for me, than tackling replacing worn and rusty old bushings (not a fun job). Also, I do want "more than stock" for a bar for upcoming big block's (both torsion and sway) - but also don't want a kidney killing ride.

My thoughts are why bars are slow to market is them trying to make new bushings - but honestly, I've no clue why the delay. Maybe I do need to call and place an order - if it will help getting 'em made.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
People with correct ride height on a f these days seem to get grief for the proper high sitting front ends.
I thought I was the only one with that opinion.
It is known that old springs (coil, leaf and torsion) do sag in time - so an un-touched suspension does need a bit more height in front, due to sag. But, full ride height does seam a bit "too high" in front, even with new or re-arched rear springs.
BudW

Back