Power Antennas

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone is still using the stock power antenna in their M body if their car came with one. Mine did, and unfortunately got stuck in the up position and no way to get it down, even after taking it off and trying to figure out a way to disassemble it. A friend, who's shop foreman at a Chrysler dealership just put it back in and cut it off.

Are the OEM antennas fixable if you have one, do you just say to hell with it and jerry-rig an aftermarket job in there, or do you go with the static non movable antenna?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Mine came with a working antenna motor and a broken telescoping mast. Looks like some kid came along and snapped it in two.

I'm going to replace mine with one that telescopes, but that project is in line behind a few others.

Since I'm where we don't get much snow or ice, I think a telescoping antenna would work fine. I've looked for replacements from other fifth avenues, but at the pick-n-pull the power antennas are one of the first things to be taken.
At least around here.

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
Since I'm where we don't get much snow or ice, I think a telescoping antenna would work fine. I've looked for replacements from other fifth avenues, but at the pick-n-pull the power antennas are one of the first things to be taken.
At least around here.

Here in the Northeast, we have very few junkyards left, and in those there is nothing older than 1990.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'm relying on BudW. He has a chrysler only boneyard near him in Oklahoma.
Fingers crossed.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
My '78 Aspen wagon has the power antenna which was included with the factory CB tranceiver. It still works fairly well, but I try not to use it until I can lubricate it as it should be. It sticks a bit when it is almost fully retracted so about an inch of it stays above the fender when the transceiver is off. I don't want to mess with it until I am sure what I am doing. I remember finding some factory info about maintaining and servicing it. I will try to find it and post it later.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
No one on planet Earth seems to know this: If the mast breaks or gets bent, which happens quite frequently, you don't have to replace the whole unit, just the mast. There is a procedure for unwinding the vinyl cord out of the motor, and the antenna pulls right out. There's another procedure for inserting the new mast.

Instructions: www.AntennaMastsRus.com

Get a new mast, and not an entire assembly: Amazon product ASIN B00JG4VQZO

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My '78 Aspen wagon has the power antenna which was included with the factory CB tranceiver.
The CB antennas (both power and non-power) are different and becoming very hard to find.
Actually, they were hard to find in the ‘80's, and non-existent now.

I’m putting my 5th Ave on a diet (before the big block transplant) and I was going to give Justwondering my working power antenna to her, after I install a non-power antenna first.

The mast replacements are generally the best way to go, if yours is broken.

If you find a (approximate) ‘74 to ‘90 any make Chrysler non-power antenna, it will fit FMJ’s without any problem, Just keep your nut and top fender placement washer (which is same between power and non-power antenna’s).

CB antennas are different!

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I am currently replacing Darth Car's power antenna. My motor was destroyed by the PO. So I could not do a mast-ectomy. As for the mast listed above, I have used that mast, from that vendor with success on a front drive New Yorker. I do not think it will work on the rear drive cars.

I purchased a guaranteed to fit universal power antenna assembly, but decided not to use it. It would require rewiring everything, including the factory antenna cable. The factory antenna cable does not fit the small connector on the side of these new replacement units.

I purchased a used antenna assembly from Marty, at AZ Parts. I got his last one for now, but he may always get more.

If you have a factory unit, and it is working, here is how to keep it working. Perform this service twice per year.

1) Turn on radio so antenna extends to its complete elevation.

2) Wipe entire antenna mast vigorously with a clean, dry cloth until no further black material comes off of antenna.

3) Apply a generous coating of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly to antenna mast.

4) Retract, and extend antenna mast several times to distribute Vaseline throughout complete mast assembly.

5) Retract antenna, and clean any excess Vaseline from top of antenna, and or fender.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
If you can find the correct mast, you can still replace a cut off mast, if the motor is still good.

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
If you can find the correct mast, you can still replace a cut off mast, if the motor is still good.

I don't know if the motor is still good..., it will run, but last time it ran it put the antenna in the fully extended position and kept running. It would not retract the mast when the radio was turned off but the motor kept going anyway. If anything I will put a non powered antenna in, and take the powered antenna out for re-examination.

Back