Power seat question

Master M

Reaction score
My 1988 5th Ave FSM says the drivers side power seat is 6 way adjustable, and the passenger power seat is 4 way adjustable. Do all of the years for passenger power seats come in 4 way or were some years 6 way. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Master M

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have a manually adjusted passenger seat, and am wanting to change the seat track over to power.
My shop manual says the drivers power seat is a 6 way and if you had a power passenger seat it would be a 4 way. I was wondering if any of the years had a 6 way power seat for the passenger. I need the tilt feature of the 6 way. Do you know if the drivers side seat track can be used on the passenger side with some not too difficult modifications ?

Aspen500

Reaction score
If the floor pan is anything like an f-body, the pass track is quite a bit different because of the catalyst hump in the floor. Not familiar with the power tracks but I suppose a person could slice, dice and weld the 6 way drivers track and manual pass track to make it work (maybe, possibly, perhaps).

Justwondering

Reaction score
I have an 87 Fifth Avenue and had to remove the passenger front seat. Swapped it with a passenger seat from another 87 Fifth avenue.
The front passenger seat is held on by 4 bolts that go all the way through the floor of the car. The nuts are threaded on underneath the car. It has an electrical assembly with a plug on it under the seat. This serves to give it the power it needs for the 4-way adjustment.

Have you considered harvesting a second driver's seat, keeping the electrical intact so cut the electrical beyond the plug -- near the floor. Take the rails as well. While you have the seat out, turn it over and move the seat controls from the left side to the right side. I'd have to go look and see how the controls come through the side. If you have to put a hole in the fabric you would need to put a grommet on or tape off the opening edges so the fabric doesn't run.

I haven't had the driver's side off yet so I don't know if the bolt pattern lines up with the passenger side. At least you'd know the seat clearance should work. Just a thought.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well its all good news. The bolt holes across the front are on 15 inch centers for the drivers and passenger seats.

My front seats are 60/40, so you would have to do some surgery but there is plenty of fabric to use.

The downside is your controls will be exactly opposite of the driver side unless you can flip the internals before you install them into the passenger side. Every thing I've seen under the passenger side indicates there is plenty of slack in the wiring.

Good luck.

Master M

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your effort. I will try and get both power front seats from a donor car, and between the two I should be able to make something work. If the seat tracks are the same from side to side I wonder why they wouldn't of used the 6 way track on both sides ? Hmmmm.

Justwondering

Reaction score
shaving pennies for the bean counters?
shaving weight for fed mandated mileage goals?

Let me know how it goes.

Justwondering

Reaction score
This is the info I found in my service manual for the 87 fifth avenue.

image_1443919304074.jpg

Back