Power to Manual F Body

CM360

Reaction score
Swapping out the power steering unit for an A body manual. I know that all I need is the F body pitman arm. What about connecting the manual box to the steering column? Anything else I might need? THX

CM360

Reaction score
Who carries it? Does the steering column need to be cut?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It is an adaptor that is roughly four inches long that goes between the column lower connector to gear splines.

There is a chance the pitman arm is the same as an A-body (I thought it was – but not 100% sure).

jamf

Reaction score
I bolted a box from a '66 Belvedere right on my car pitman arm and all.
I found a couple u joints off of steering columns with the same splines at the junk yard and made a bit longer shaft to go between the box and column.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Change the box coupler to a manual steering piece and stretch the column shaft about 2 inches.
F body manual and power steering pitman arms are different. I have a couple new ones in stock.

CM360

Reaction score
Thanks for the info but I'm still a little confused. A and B body manual steering boxes are different? Pitman must be from manual steering F body? A look up in a parts book showed 1 pitman arm for manual or power steering box for the F body.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
manual boxes from (most) all mopar rwd cars are the same...or at least interchangeable. (mid 60's to 80's)
I have two different part numbers for power steering and manual steering F body pitman arms. Splined hole size is different.
The splined coupler and shaft length are also different btwn F body power/manual.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The (P/S vs. manual) pitman arms look identical when placed side by side – except for the splined hole.

I would think it would have been better to had made them the same for both gear types (but what do I know . . . )

Back