Power window gear kit problem 747-411

Master M

Reaction score
So I just got my brand new Dorman 747-411 power window gear kit for my 1988 5th ave. The installation went fine. I'm glad I tested the new kit out for about 6 cycles up and down before completely putting the door panel on. At the last cycle the window wouldn't go up all the way and it eventually slid down into the door. The 3 solid plastic plugs disintegrated inside the gear. I came up with what I think will be a long lasting fix for it, and it is working great. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post the repair I did.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
The problem is that the 3 plastic plugs are actually split, a factory design used as a clutch, inside of the gear, in a triangle pattern. Simply use plastic bushings, nylon dowels. HomeCheapo has them in the hardware section. Photo is for reference purposes.

917e5b09-c582-4116-b391-5004e686fd65_300.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Those plastic dowels are designed to wear out/break on purpose. Cheaper them than other window parts. It is a greasy job to replace, but I'd rather do that than replace the entire motor, any day. Don't get stingy with the special grease.

BudW

Mr C

Reaction score
I don't mind...I posted the "how to" to help out the hobby. You'll see in the thread that others are modifying the fix using rubber wrapped brake line and other machined stuff from Germany, but that's a waste of time and effort over the nuts. But to each his own.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I don't mind...I posted the "how to" to help out the hobby. You'll see in the thread that others are modifying the fix using rubber wrapped brake line and other machined stuff from Germany, but that's a waste of time and effort over the nuts. But to each his own.

I just posted the link. I read the thread and it's fairly obvious that your fix is the way to go. Thank you again.

Back