Problems with Parking Brake Strut

1337m4723

Reaction score
Hello guys,

my dad and me are fixing my 77 Aspen 225cui SE Woody-Wagon at the moment (pictures to find in the hello-section) and reached a severe point while repairing the rear drumbrakes.

The parking brake didn't work before, and after installing a complete repair-kit for the brake and the parking brake it didn't start working.

So we come to the point that we found out the parking brake struts were missing totally. We didn't recognize that fact, because we didn't know what the brake should look like originally. So I guess some previous owner changed the brake-parts and just forgot(!) about the parking brake struts. :(

It's a really bad thing, because I couldn't find fitting struts for my 10" brakes. There seemed to exist fitting parts for 11" brakes or 10" from 65 to 74 for A-Bodies only.

And A-Body-Cars like the Plymouth Valiant are thepredecessors from F-Bodies I thought.
So I learned that the 10" parking brake strut from the A-Bodies should fit from 1965 to 1979 (also for F, M, J, R -Bodies).

So my question is: would the #2409823 (Parking Brake Strut) really fit in my Aspen? I need a functioning parking brake because of the german TÜV laws.

Here are some pictures of my brake without the strut.

Many greetings from germany! :):)

IMG_20180413_161945.jpg

IMG_20180413_161950.jpg

IMG_20180413_162029.jpg

IMG_20180413_162115.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes it will fit. Same p/n an F-body takes. In fact, about the only thing that may be different for 10" rear drum for all years and models is the wheel cylinder (different dia pistons). Same is true for 11"

My guess for why they're missing is, the parking brake cables were seized and instead of replacing or disconnecting them, they left the strut out so the drum would go back on.

1337m4723

Reaction score
Thank you for the answer!! :)

So then I will order that parts immediatly. But I hope you're guessing wrong about the brake cable :-D We checked the cable and it moves and the parkingbrake-parts within the brakedrum are also moving.

So I really hope, it's just the missing struts we need to replace, and everything will work properly after that episode...

There are a few other sites that'll need my attention and work on :-D The brake-problem wasn't planned and didn't fit the plan.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The 11” drum brake hardware looks to be the same as 10” drum brake hardware – but as far as I know, none of the 11” hardware will interchange with 10” hardware – including the park brake struts.

The ~1965 to mid-2000, 10” brake hardware (for all body styles and pickups) will interchange as an "assembly". The newer hardware is more reliable than older – but any version works fine (as long as it is complete and same on both sides.

The struts themselves I don’t think has changed any through the years. I have seen a few of them left off of cars over the years – more because of shade-tree mechanics (I think – but no proof, though).

Part number 2409823 is the correct part number you need (fits either side).
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
The cables were just a guess. I've seen the strut missing before (on more than one make). Brake cables in this climate (meaning winter road salt) seize from rust regularly, even if you always use it. Happened to my '96 Dakota three times in the 20 years I've owned it, and I always used the brake. Some people have the cables replaced, some don't.

1337m4723

Reaction score
So I totally forgot about this thread - my bad! So much work to do.

I ordered the parking brake struts and the were at customs a very long time (I guess up to three weeks). When my dad and me had got the time we tried installing it. What should I say: It worked! We had to losen the cable, because it was tightened to the last turn. After changing the brakepower it looks very good now! The parking brake works fine :)

So: Thank you all of you!! :)

Back