Problems with turn switch cancelling cam on Dodge Aspen 1977

1337m4723

Reaction score
Dear all,

I haven't posted here for a longer period... I was really busy with a lot of stuff on my job and our second oldtimer. (My fiancee bought a Chevy Blazer from 1976 and it is/was a lot of work on this)
My Aspen is functioning pretty nice!! (you helped me A LOT with my questions about wirering and other stuff!)

Now I have a new question: I replaced my turn-signal switch because it did not turn itself off. (I think it is a common problem with the broken springs inside the switch...)
However, the replacement did work pretty well. BUT I broke the turn switch cancelling cam (the round thingy with the Horn contact). The black spring-cable won't hold up because I broke the small "nose" (on german that would be the name for it..) which holds the black plastic of the horn-contact (see the attached picture).

For my own surprise I found a NOS part at Auto Parts Obsolete Vintage Classic Antique Auto Parts. The problem now is: The parcel-service in germany is incompetent and the lost my delivery in germany and sended it back to USA. That could be the end of the story: BUT autopartsobsolete did not get the package back... -.-

SO: I did not receive my spare-part.

My question: Does anybody of you know where I can buy a cancelling cam? Or does anybody sell some of those? I'd be VERY thankfull if you can help me out with some information or a part...
At the moment I cannot take a turn without honking in a continuous tone because the contact is not attached properly...

I hope you can follow my writing and have some advice for me :)

Best regards from Hanover
Matze

IMG_20210826_161619_marked.jpg

Last edited:

69-

Reaction score
You must be kidding me - Hannover??
I live in the suburbs and did not expect getting to know some more troops around here... :)

Can't help you with your problem, but maybe you like to join a couple Mopar enthusiasts in the area... We're meet in a Misburg location.

And just one info: here, an oldtimer is an old person. The cars are classics ;)

volare 1977

Reaction score
Is it for a tilt column? Do you have the part number? Or is there a part number on it?

Last edited:

Duke5A

Reaction score
I have an entire NOS switch assembly for a tilt column. Bought it when the lever stopped working, but it turned out a couple fasteners had just backed off a little bit under the horn button. If it is what you need I could part with it.

1337m4723

Reaction score
You must be kidding me - Hannover??
I live in the suburbs and did not expect getting to know some more troops around here... :)

Can't help you with your problem, but maybe you like to join a couple Mopar enthusiasts in the area... We're meet in a Misburg location.

And just one info: here, an oldtimer is an old person. The cars are classics ;)
Lol - I'm located in Langenhagen ;-) Really funny! I was not active here since 2019 I guess.

I'm pretty sure the chance is high, that we already met each others cars or even in person :-D

Yes, it would be great to connect with other Mopar enthusiasts. When my schedule permits again, I would love to meet you guys.

Haha lol. You're right, but I hope native English speakers are aware of the message I was trying to address with "oldtimer" - lol

DSC_2773(2).jpg

1337m4723

Reaction score
Is it for a tilt column? Do you have the part number? Or is there a part number on it?
Yep, it's tilt column. Unfortunately there was no part number on it and I can't look at it at the moment because its built in the car right now.

But Auto Parts Obsolete said the number was 4019314. But I am NOT sure if it's the correct number of mopar or just of their page.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Yep, it's tilt column. Unfortunately there was no part number on it and I can't look at it at the moment because its built in the car right now.

But Auto Parts Obsolete said the number was 4019314. But I am NOT sure if it's the correct number of mopar or just of their page.

I'll try and dig it out of the garage attic tonight. It's still in the original bag.

1337m4723

Reaction score
I have an entire NOS switch assembly for a tilt column. Bought it when the lever stopped working, but it turned out a couple fasteners had just backed off a little bit under the horn button. If it is what you need I could part with it.

Wow nice!! Where did you find the set? I only found the whole switch, but no parts for the cancel cam. At Autoparts Obsolete, it was the last NOS cam they had - and it seems to have disappeared into USPS or DHL nirvana. Very frustrating.

If you would agree to share the kit, I would be very grateful.... as a test, I have ordered a cancel cam for Cadillacs from 1976 to 2002. It should arrive in November or so. If you agree, I will try to see if this part would fit my car. It MAY, because I also replaced the turning switch on the K5 Blazer and it was 100% the same part as in the Aspen. Maybe the GM parts and Mopar parts are the same in the late 70's.... Just an idea.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Wow nice!! Where did you find the set? I only found the whole switch, but no parts for the cancel cam. At Autoparts Obsolete, it was the last NOS cam they had - and it seems to have disappeared into USPS or DHL nirvana. Very frustrating.

If you'd be okay with sharing the set I'd be VERY thankfull... testwhise I ordered a cancel cam for 1976 - 2002 cadillacs. It should arrive in november or so. If you're okay with that I will try if this part would fit into my car. It MAY be, because I replaced the turning switch at the K5 Blazer too and it was 100% the same part as it is in the Aspen. Mayber the GM parts and Mopar parts are the same in the late 70s.... Just an idea.

Sure, take your time. It's not going anywhere. I actually bought the switch off of a member here last year. Just hit me up if it turns out you need it.

1337m4723

Reaction score
Sure, take your time. It's not going anywhere. I actually bought the switch off of a member here last year. Just hit me up if it turns out you need it.
I'll do pretty sure. You can count on me - lol.

For your interest: More Information for WVE 1S3004
That is the switch I used for the Aspen. It is not marked in Rockauto for my car. I searched for it via assumption.

And this one is the switch for the K5 Blazer: More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TW45

They are pretty the same...

1337m4723

Reaction score
And of course, thank you very, very much!!!:eek: When I broke the thing, I thought it would not be difficult to find this plastic part... But now after 3 months and the odyssey with the parcel service I'm really tired of the search.... So you are doing me a big favor! :)

69-

Reaction score
Lol - I'm located in Langenhagen ;-) Really funny! I was not active here since 2019 I guess.

I'm pretty sure the chance is high, that we already met each others cars or even in person :-D

Yes, it would be great to connect with other Mopar enthusiasts. When my schedule permits again, I would love to meet you guys.

Haha lol. You're right, but I hope native English speakers are aware of the message I was trying to address with "oldtimer" - lol

View attachment 45393

Langenhagen? It gets ever more crazy... I live in Isernhagen. Now you guys in the US might get it - it's the next door neigbourhood. Just google-maps both towns (Langenhagen - Isernhagen). Only difference is, we have more horses and they have an airport :D

1337m4723

Reaction score
Langenhagen? It gets ever more crazy... I live in Isernhagen. Now you guys in the US might get it - it's the next door neigbourhood. Just google-maps both towns (Langenhagen - Isernhagen). Only difference is, we have more horses and they have an airport :D
This description is pretty accurate
I'm living pretty near the airport actually.
I assume you're living near some horses then...

Really funny indeed.

69-

Reaction score
That is so true. Horse next-next-next door (yards are just a little smaller here, so for you guys in the midwest with acres of land - horses as direct neighbours) and my cars and my garage/shop are basically in the midst of some horse stables. Always have to cover them, always have to clean them... :D

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The (F/M-body) Tilt steering column, from 1976-1979 is much different from 1980-1989 F/M-body Tilt steering columns.

Also, Chrysler changed the electrical plug-ins every couple of years or so.

The '80 and newer steering columns are Saginaw made.
I "suspect" the steering columns made before then are Chrysler design - but maybe made by Saginaw (or by Chrysler).

The correct turn signal switch will be 3747203.
The cam part number is 4019314
BudW

1337m4723

Reaction score
The (F/M-body) Tilt steering column, from 1976-1979 is much different from 1980-1989 F/M-body Tilt steering columns.

Also, Chrysler changed the electrical plug-ins every couple of years or so.

The '80 and newer steering columns are Saginaw made.
I "suspect" the steering columns made before then are Chrysler design - but maybe made by Saginaw (or by Chrysler).

The correct turn signal switch will be 3747203.
The cam part number is 4019314
BudW
Thank you for this information! So I am on the right track I guess.

Do you know if GM used the same parts from Saginaw? Since I discovered that our Blazer and Aspen have the same turning switch it would make sense. Interesting would be if the cancelling cam is the same part too. (The numbers could be different, but the part itself would be plausible to me to be the same)

Back