Proper way to seal gas threads?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok, my pump arrived, it has this filter that screws in the back of it, do I need any thread sealer or do these 1/8 in. NPT threads seal themselves? The reason I ask is was told thread tape is not petrol resistant and my Holley pump has the smallest weapage which I don't like and have never been able to stop. What products do I use, I have some paste thread sealer and also loctite thread lock stuff.
15653316858042047626309.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

Aspen500

Reaction score
I always use PTFE thread sealant paste on fitting like those. I believe that's what the ARP stuff is.

The teflon tape would work also but there's always the risk that a piece of it could find it's way inside the fitting unless you're very careful wrapping it. I've not heard of gas (petrol) causing problems with teflon tape.

Don't use the LocTite. It would seal the threads but disassembly could be a problem. It isn't really for sealing threads, just locking the fastener so it won't vibrate loose.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've been finding that the quality of fittings has gotten shoty and hard to seal no matter what product you use.

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Just lick it before you stick it...
My brain says pipe tape but my heart says no sealant..

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Ive always used the tape, just start back at least 1/8 inch from the start of the threads then you never get any in the system.

Back