Proportioning Valve Upgrade

charlesvolare

Reaction score
My proportioning valve is sticking under hard braking (i.e. idiots pulling in front of me, me locking up all four wheels to keep to t-boning a dummy). It's happened twice in the past six months, the pedal immediately gets hard, and the front brakes (seem to) drag and become pretty poorly responsive. I have to let everything cool down and with a combination of tapping the proportioning valve with a hammer and stomping the brake pedal it usually pops back into it's normal position and works properly. I've figured it's time to replace it and with a quick search of the autoparts stores' websites shows no one carries it. Does anyone have any recommendations on any aftermarket unit or any stock-type replacement before I start to dig into any shopping?

Last edited:

Davesmopar

Reaction score
I would just take it apart and clean it, replace the o ring and reuse it.... if I remember correctly (scary thought) it is basically a spool valve.......

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
yup...should be rebuildable.
not sure where to find such a rebuild kit but it has to be available...somewhere...lol

I have some good used ones in cast iron and brass.

tim berry

Reaction score
Go to Carolina classics .
They will have something .
Muscle car technology has the Kelsey and Hays rebuild kits.
(Good guy) .
Personally I did not have good luck rebuilding the cast iron unit in my first gen truck.
I would go new , you can go if you cant stop .
Good luck

20161024_150217.jpg

Back