Question about an '83 5th Avenue...

53ryder

Reaction score
Was thinking of looking at an 1983 New Yorker 5th Avenue Edition over the weekend locally. V-8, just over 100K miles wise. Looks to be in fair shape. Wondering about the engine. No computer to hook up a code reader right? So if I want to check the compression what do I need to get? What kind of gauge? And does anyone know what would be a good range of compression of all the cylinders? Help appreciated!!

Glenn

89.Fifth

Reaction score
No computer, no code reader. No fancy diagnostics.

For a compression test pick up something basic like this: Compression Test Kit 8 Pc

A 1983 should be open chamber and that means around 145psi

Other things to check on:
  • Open the oil fill cap and shine a bright flashlight to look at the rocker arms. Should be relatively clean and not sludged over.
  • Check for leaks at the oil pan and transmission pan.
  • Pop off the distributor cap and check the condition of the cap and rotor
  • Look for clean spark plugs. Pull one if you can. Rusty or hard to remove plugs mean little maintenance.
  • Look down the carb and work the throttle. The accelerator pump should squirt some fuel. No fuel means carb needs work.
  • See if the Lean Burn has been changed out. Personally I prefer to see it on and do the switch out myself if need be.
  • Drive it up to 55mph. Faulty carb will have hesitation or other acceleration problems. Lean burn is rarely the actual culprit of issues.
  • Check for vacuum leaks
  • Smell the transmission fluid. Should be red with slight odor. Heavy burnt smell could mean it needs work. Light burnt smell is ok to an extent.
  • Check for modifications. If I had a nickel for every time someone who doesn't know these cars messed with them and ruined them... I'd have a lot of cars.
  • Check the leaf springs and hangers for excessive rust or rot.
  • Front frame rails for rust/rot
  • K-Frame cracks
  • Uneven tire wear

Back