WANTED Radio ground cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Contact seller
My ‘77 Volare wagon, the radio kept cutting in/out when lights were turned on. My initial thought was radio had an internal problem in it - but wasn’t sure.

While I was replacing a broken off cheapo antenna (with a correct one), I found out the car has had an dealer installed single speaker AM/FM radio into it and I discovered the radio had no ground cable on it. My guess is radio was grounding via the lamp while lights were off (me shrugs) - but with a temporary ground, radio is working like a champ now.

Question one: does anyone know where does the ground cable/strap/bracket attach to (on dash) at exactly?

Question two:
does anyone have an FMJ (not sure if the same for bodies - but might be) radio ground cable/strap/bracket they are willing to sell?
This car is an low mileage pretty nice all original survivor and my plans are to keep it as stock as possible (I think ...).

Thank you,
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Don't have a strap that I know of off hand, sorry (but I'll check, you never know!).
The strap goes under the acorn nut, over the stud at the bottom of the dash where the metal brace attaches and of course the other end to the stud on the rear of the radio.

The service manual shows a missing ground strap as a cause for intermittent radio operation in the troubleshooting tree.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The strap goes under the acorn nut, over the stud at the bottom of the dash where the metal brace attaches and of course the other end to the stud on the rear of the radio.
Thank you!

I have removed/installed hundreds of Mopar radios. Also, I have seen torn, cut and left loose cables – but this is first time I’ve seen car that came with “none”!

I know this car has a dealer installed job, sense car had a cheap (non-OE) antenna on it and the date on radio was 1-1977 (car was built on 11-11 at 10 am, 1976).

My intent was to replace the antenna (and maybe to install a radio with a clock in it), while radio was out - I saw the missing cable (right lower dash, under steering panel and radio was removed – so no place it could hide at).
There are roughly 10 Mopar radios in my garage – but not one single ground cable. Not sure why, those cables are good for a lot of things.

Thank you Aspen500!

Justwondering

Reaction score
BudW
What are you replacing the antenna with?
Mine has a broken mast and I'm not sure if the motor runs to make the mast go up when you turn the radio on. So I've just been ignoring it while I worked on other parts of the car.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I should add, the ground cable in my car is attached to that brace stud and was since I've owned the car and ASSUME that's the correct location. Nothing shown in the service manual that I could find. Doesn't appear to be any other spot it would be attached to though.

Haven't got a chance to dig around. Most of my spare stuff is up in the attic above the house garage/utility room and I seem to forget about the room up there, lol. It's like a secret room that no one knows is there, including me sometimes.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
What are you replacing the antenna with?
Mine has a broken mast and I'm not sure if the motor runs to make the mast go up when you turn the radio on.
Pictures of the broken non-OE (Original Equipment) antenna I replaced on my ‘77 Volare wagon.
Pictures of the ‘75ish to ‘89ish OE style cable (manual).
Picture of manual antenna on car.
Pictures of power antenna on car (‘86 5th Ave - I washed car last week, I swear).
Pages from my ‘77 parts book, if you are looking for part numbers.

The nut and keyed washer (I don’t have a spare keyed-washer) are the same on power and manual antennas. I used snap ring plyers with a 90' bend to remove and install nut with.

I removed the antenna assembly from a ‘84 GF police car to replace on my 5th ave as a spare incase I broke my power antenna (the loose cable in picture)

I purchased a new antenna cable and nut from Ebay to put in the wagon, a few months ago (already installed).

The old (non-OE) cable had a black ½ plastic ball with a partial chrome dome cap (rather cheesy looking, and already discarded) that was on top side of fender.

BudW

Old (non OE) Antenna.jpg

Old (non OE) Antenna 2.jpg

OE style - PN 3501294.jpg

20160409_201328.jpg

20160409_201341.jpg

77 Volare manual.jpg

86 5th Ave Power.jpg

86 5th Ave Power 2.jpg

77 Antenna all bodies.JPG

77 Antenna part numbers.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
Hey, I got a chance to look through the spare parts finally and,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing. Sorry man!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say a sickness.
Wife says I'm the same way - but I'd never think I'd need a radio ground cable . . . (so never picked one up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back