Radio Wiring Diagram

double a ron

Reaction score
Hello all, replacing the dolby Quartz lock with a 1990 base cassette head unit with dual 7 pin. I found the wiring diagram for the new radio, but for the life of me can't find one for the old Cordoba radio.

Does anyone have or know what each wire colour is. the quartz lock is a 6 pin with two dual plugs.

Thanks in advance.

double a ron

Reaction score
81, but I found this hope it's right...I don't understand why there isn't any rear speaker ground connections though?

On the SIX-WIRE CONNECTOR:
DARK GREEN: Left Front Speaker +
BLACK *: Left Front Speaker -
VIOLET: Right Front Speaker +
BLACK *: Right Front Speaker -
BROWN w/ YELLOW: Left Rear Speaker +
DARK BLUE w/ WHITE**: Right Rear Speaker +

On the RED TWO-WIRE CONNECTOR:
RED w/ WHITE: Continuous 12-volt (for stereo memory)
YELLOW w/ BLACK Parking Lamp Feed (dims display when lights on)

On the WHITE TWO-WIRE CONNECTOR:
RED: Ignition Switch 12-volt (on when key on/acc.)
ORANGE: Panel Lamps Dimmer (further dimming of display with panel lamps rheostat)

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Up until the dual flat plugin wire design radios, Chrysler rear speakers are “grounded” through the mounting screws (on 1 wire speakers. I guess to save on copper wiring, maybe)?

The dual flat plugin design radios do have two wire speakers.

If converting to a dual flat plugin design – you can use the chassis ground and therefore not run additional wire to rear speakers – if you wanted to. Just make sure you ground the correct wires at the speaker. The radio ground wires can be left unwired without problems.

If for some reason you reversed polarity of speaker wires, you will still hear it but the sound will be pushed into trunk instead of sound pushed into cabin.

77 Radio Wiring
77 Radio P1.JPG

77 Radio P2.JPG

'86 Radio Wiring
86 Radio wiring p1.JPG

86 Radio wiring p2.JPG

double a ron

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, my dad had run some dedicated ground wires and tapped them into the front for some reason, I just spliced these into the new harness. Everything worked out as planned and I am in business. The old quartz lock was jumping around stations and would not play a tape....anyways it is done.

upload_2016-11-7_19-34-17.png

Back