WANTED Rear Anti Sway Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler installed rear sway bars were installed on less than 1% of all FMJ vehicles.
The ones they did install them on were police cars (a majority) or special handling cars. Finding a FMJ rear sway bar – is hard to di (possible – but difficult).
I think a majority of the (ex) police cars got wiped out in movie usage.

When you do find a used one, be sure to get the front sway bar as well. The reason is the cars with rear sway bars have larger front bars.
If you put a rear sway bar in rear – without also changing out the front - it will cause handling problems.

What I recommend to do is find a pair of new sway bars to install.
FFI (http://www.firmfeel.com/fmj_body_mopar_parts.html) has an outstanding sway bar set (but pricy). Other manufactures may still make them – but as our cars get older, those “other” companies are slowing discontinuing production of them.

So, In My Opinion, finding aftermarket ones (rear and larger front), might be your best bet.

Also, I highly recommend using the FFI HD brackets – if you drive like I do. The stock brackets may work fine for your grandmother – but I like to hear my front tires squeal for mercy.

Note: the rear sway bars are listed on the FFI site, but you have to pay attention – they are easily overlooked.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to install bars for two cars and currently have one complete set of police bars (front and rear). Still need another pair of bars, though.

There are two big block engines in my garage just waiting to get shoehorned into both cars – but want to get suspension done first.
Actually, there are 5 big blocks in my garage, one of which is the original 440 out of my ’70 Chrysler 300/H, another is a complete 440 Motor Home engine that I bought for the transmission (not sure what to do with the engine, though) and another 440 block which I’m trying to sell for a friend.

The front factory sway bar works great for normal usage. With that said, the front factory sway bar center brackets (even the HD and XHD ones) are a bit under-built for the job (ie: they can break a lot). I couldn’t count that high on how many the Tulsa Police Dept. broke when I worked at the dealership, there.

Because of that, I do recommend getting the TTI front bracket set from them – on no matter which front bar you use.

The last I checked, there are other companies still making front sway bars – and all of them (except TTI) say “reuse old brackets” (sigh).

This link gives a pictures of the Std/HD and EXD front brackets/links and shows the differences. http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/threads/front-sway-bar-brackets.5520/#post-61929

TTI has always been a high quality product company and also races what they manufacture. I really would like to get two pairs of sway bars from them, but just don’t have that much money laying around. Actually, I don’t have the money I want to purchase one pair of bars from them, yet (but they are high up on my wish list).
BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I fitted addco ones to my doba, pretty straight forward, used their matched set. Makes a difference all right! I fitted urethane spring pads to to remove slop and the solid body isolator pucks!

Aspen360

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have a factory F-body rear sway bar in the shed. Not sure what's on it or shape, give me a bit to get pics. Located in PA 18014

Cbodyuser

Reaction score
I have a oem rear sway bar that I might sell. I don't know what a reasonable fair price would be (plus shipping expenses). No brackets. FFI brackets would work well. FMJ body rear sway bars first came on the police package Aspens and Volares. About 7/8 diameter for the first year or so then Chrysler went to 3/4 diameter. I don't know why. I have one of each size. I do not have available the thicker front bars for a match up. The only thicker front bar I have is on my car. 85 Fifth Avenue with 8-1/4 limited slip 2.94.

Bazzil

Reaction score
B0F30FBD-F710-494B-87F3-43198029B70D.jpeg
34DF4227-17AF-403A-AF74-79498491D910.jpeg
25CCA499-14FC-4179-B92E-6F8AD3B7A313.jpeg

Bazzil

Reaction score
I have that one in the attic. Has a set of aftermaket link bars also.
Tha go with it. A little rusty but solid as expected from a 1978

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Bazzil, does your bar come with the brackets that attach between the differential and springs, and the attaching links?

Bazzil

Reaction score
I believe it’s the two frame brackets with original bushing still on the sway bar. The end links are brand new aftermarket brand from auto parts store. See pictures.

87347CDD-736B-4959-A9F2-A665AFC4BC95.jpeg

3441251C-3A90-4EBE-97A2-0F033D58C17B.jpeg

46765CC3-1FF0-4283-9D73-CC416CDD95AA.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back